AMQP Version upgrade plans?

Sunjeet Singh

OpenStack currently uses AMQP 0.8. Are there any plans to upgrade?

Thank you,
Sunjeet

Re: AMQP Version upgrade plans?

Russell Bryant
On 06/24/2013 02:01 PM, Sunjeet Singh wrote:

> OpenStack currently uses AMQP 0.8. Are there any plans to upgrade?

OpenStack is not specifically tied to an AMQP version.  It's more about
what clients we have support for, what versions they speak, and then
what message brokers support that.

Right now we have support for using the kombu (for RabbitMQ) and qpid
(for Qpid) clients.

I actually have a big interest in adding support for AMQP 1.0.  One of
the *really* interesting things with AMQP 1.0 that is relevant for
OpenStack is that it is not tied to using a message broker.  You can use
it in both a peer-to-peer and a brokered way.  This is interesting,
because depending on the messaging pattern we're using, we may want one
vs the other in different parts of OpenStack.

As for the specifics to doing this, the only AMQP 1.0 client I know of
is Proton.  It does have Python bindings.

    http://qpid.apache.org/proton/

As for the server side, ActiveMQ recently added AMQP 1.0 support using
this same library (proton).

    http://activemq.apache.org/

--
Russell Bryant

Re: AMQP Version upgrade plans?

Mac Innes, Kiall
If you have a recent version of kombu, and amqp[1] rather than amqplib
installed, things will just start using AMQP 0.9.1.

Ubuntu doesn't package a new enough Kombu, and they don't package "amqp"
at all.. Not sure about other distro's.

Thanks,
Kiall

[1]: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/amqp

On 24/06/13 19:12, Sunjeet Singh wrote:

> OpenStack currently uses AMQP 0.8. Are there any plans to upgrade?
>

> Thank you,
> Sunjeet

Re: AMQP Version upgrade plans?

Chuck Short
Hi

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 03:11:02PM +0000, Mac Innes, Kiall wrote:
> If you have a recent version of kombu, and amqp[1] rather than amqplib
> installed, things will just start using AMQP 0.9.1.
>
> Ubuntu doesn't package a new enough Kombu, and they don't package "amqp"
> at all.. Not sure about other distro's.

Actually saucy has the latest and greatest and it will be backported
to the cloud archive when havana-2 is out.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kombu