Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

12

Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Thierry Carrez
Hi everyone,

Over the past year, the definition of "open source" has been under
attack, as some enterprises wanted to change the licensing of their
software while continuing to reap the benefits of calling it open
source, or at least being confused with open source.

That makes the work of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) more important
than ever. They have been the steadfast guardians of that definition for
over 20 years, approving software licenses that were following the
definition, while informing people and discouraging license proliferation.

This is very much in line with the OpenStack Foundation objectives, so
I'd like to propose that the OpenStack Foundation becomes an affiliate
organization of the OSI. Other open source foundations, like the Mozilla
Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, Linux Foundation, Python Software
Foundation or Perl Foundation are already affiliates.

You can learn more about the process at:
https://opensource.org/affiliates/about

Does anyone have concerns with that, before we proceed ?

On a personal note... I think that today, open source is necessary, but
not sufficient: we also need to define standards on how open source
software is built, not just how the resulting software is licensed.
However that work cannot happen unless we base it on a strong open
source definition, and participating as an OSI affiliate would give us
opportunities to have those new standardization discussion at that level.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Mohammed Naser
On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 10:54 AM Thierry Carrez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Over the past year, the definition of "open source" has been under
> attack, as some enterprises wanted to change the licensing of their
> software while continuing to reap the benefits of calling it open
> source, or at least being confused with open source.
>
> That makes the work of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) more important
> than ever. They have been the steadfast guardians of that definition for
> over 20 years, approving software licenses that were following the
> definition, while informing people and discouraging license proliferation.
>
> This is very much in line with the OpenStack Foundation objectives, so
> I'd like to propose that the OpenStack Foundation becomes an affiliate
> organization of the OSI. Other open source foundations, like the Mozilla
> Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, Linux Foundation, Python Software
> Foundation or Perl Foundation are already affiliates.
>
> You can learn more about the process at:
> https://opensource.org/affiliates/about

I think this is great and sits well within the values that we worked hard
to build over the past few years within OpenStack.

FYI, don't forget to select "Affiliate Scheme" :)

> Does anyone have concerns with that, before we proceed ?
>
> On a personal note... I think that today, open source is necessary, but
> not sufficient: we also need to define standards on how open source
> software is built, not just how the resulting software is licensed.
> However that work cannot happen unless we base it on a strong open
> source definition, and participating as an OSI affiliate would give us
> opportunities to have those new standardization discussion at that level.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Mohammed Naser — vexxhost

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Tim Bell-2
Thierry,

Are there any legal implications, such as " This Agreement shall be governed by and construed under the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of laws principles. The parties hereby submit to the jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in Santa Clara, California." ?

Tim

    On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 10:54 AM Thierry Carrez <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Over the past year, the definition of "open source" has been under
    > attack, as some enterprises wanted to change the licensing of their
    > software while continuing to reap the benefits of calling it open
    > source, or at least being confused with open source.
    >
    > That makes the work of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) more important
    > than ever. They have been the steadfast guardians of that definition for
    > over 20 years, approving software licenses that were following the
    > definition, while informing people and discouraging license proliferation.
    >
    > This is very much in line with the OpenStack Foundation objectives, so
    > I'd like to propose that the OpenStack Foundation becomes an affiliate
    > organization of the OSI. Other open source foundations, like the Mozilla
    > Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, Linux Foundation, Python Software
    > Foundation or Perl Foundation are already affiliates.
    >
    > You can learn more about the process at:
    > https://opensource.org/affiliates/about

    I think this is great and sits well within the values that we worked hard
    to build over the past few years within OpenStack.

    FYI, don't forget to select "Affiliate Scheme" :)

    > Does anyone have concerns with that, before we proceed ?
    >
    > On a personal note... I think that today, open source is necessary, but
    > not sufficient: we also need to define standards on how open source
    > software is built, not just how the resulting software is licensed.
    > However that work cannot happen unless we base it on a strong open
    > source definition, and participating as an OSI affiliate would give us
    > opportunities to have those new standardization discussion at that level.
    >
    > --
    > Thierry Carrez (ttx)

    Mohammed Naser — vexxhost

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Melvin Hillsman
Agree with Mohammed in spirit and Tim in thought. tldr +1 barring any legal issues.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 10:10 AM Tim Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thierry,

Are there any legal implications, such as " This Agreement shall be governed by and construed under the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of laws principles. The parties hereby submit to the jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in Santa Clara, California." ?

Tim

    On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 10:54 AM Thierry Carrez <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Over the past year, the definition of "open source" has been under
    > attack, as some enterprises wanted to change the licensing of their
    > software while continuing to reap the benefits of calling it open
    > source, or at least being confused with open source.
    >
    > That makes the work of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) more important
    > than ever. They have been the steadfast guardians of that definition for
    > over 20 years, approving software licenses that were following the
    > definition, while informing people and discouraging license proliferation.
    >
    > This is very much in line with the OpenStack Foundation objectives, so
    > I'd like to propose that the OpenStack Foundation becomes an affiliate
    > organization of the OSI. Other open source foundations, like the Mozilla
    > Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, Linux Foundation, Python Software
    > Foundation or Perl Foundation are already affiliates.
    >
    > You can learn more about the process at:
    > https://opensource.org/affiliates/about

    I think this is great and sits well within the values that we worked hard
    to build over the past few years within OpenStack.

    FYI, don't forget to select "Affiliate Scheme" :)

    > Does anyone have concerns with that, before we proceed ?
    >
    > On a personal note... I think that today, open source is necessary, but
    > not sufficient: we also need to define standards on how open source
    > software is built, not just how the resulting software is licensed.
    > However that work cannot happen unless we base it on a strong open
    > source definition, and participating as an OSI affiliate would give us
    > opportunities to have those new standardization discussion at that level.
    >
    > --
    > Thierry Carrez (ttx)

    Mohammed Naser — vexxhost

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
[hidden email]
mobile: (832) 264-2646

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Doug Hellmann-2
Thierry Carrez <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Over the past year, the definition of "open source" has been under
> attack, as some enterprises wanted to change the licensing of their
> software while continuing to reap the benefits of calling it open
> source, or at least being confused with open source.
>
> That makes the work of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) more important
> than ever. They have been the steadfast guardians of that definition for
> over 20 years, approving software licenses that were following the
> definition, while informing people and discouraging license proliferation.
>
> This is very much in line with the OpenStack Foundation objectives, so
> I'd like to propose that the OpenStack Foundation becomes an affiliate
> organization of the OSI. Other open source foundations, like the Mozilla
> Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, Linux Foundation, Python Software
> Foundation or Perl Foundation are already affiliates.
>
> You can learn more about the process at:
> https://opensource.org/affiliates/about
>
> Does anyone have concerns with that, before we proceed ?
>
> On a personal note... I think that today, open source is necessary, but
> not sufficient: we also need to define standards on how open source
> software is built, not just how the resulting software is licensed.
> However that work cannot happen unless we base it on a strong open
> source definition, and participating as an OSI affiliate would give us
> opportunities to have those new standardization discussion at that level.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

+1 for signing on as an affiliate.

--
Doug

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Arkady.Kanevsky
Thierry,
Putting my Finance committee hat.

Do you know what are OSI expectations on contributions?
◾To make annual contributions towards the running of OSI where possible.

Thanks,
Arkady

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Anni Lai
The sponsors, and the annual corporate revenues annual donations are listed here - https://opensource.org/sponsors

I do have one question though - I see Linux Foundation (sponsor) and Eclipse Foundation (supporter) are listed, but I don't see Apache Foundation. Does anyone have any insight as why Apache is not here?

Anni

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Monty Taylor

On 2/6/19 3:53 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Over the past year, the definition of "open source" has been under
> attack, as some enterprises wanted to change the licensing of their
> software while continuing to reap the benefits of calling it open
> source, or at least being confused with open source.
>
> That makes the work of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) more important
> than ever. They have been the steadfast guardians of that definition for
> over 20 years, approving software licenses that were following the
> definition, while informing people and discouraging license proliferation.
>
> This is very much in line with the OpenStack Foundation objectives, so
> I'd like to propose that the OpenStack Foundation becomes an affiliate
> organization of the OSI. Other open source foundations, like the Mozilla
> Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, Linux Foundation, Python Software
> Foundation or Perl Foundation are already affiliates.
>
> You can learn more about the process at:
> https://opensource.org/affiliates/about
>
> Does anyone have concerns with that, before we proceed ?
>
> On a personal note... I think that today, open source is necessary, but
> not sufficient: we also need to define standards on how open source
> software is built, not just how the resulting software is licensed.
> However that work cannot happen unless we base it on a strong open
> source definition, and participating as an OSI affiliate would give us
> opportunities to have those new standardization discussion at that level.

++

[hidden email] wrote:
> Thierry,
> Putting my Finance committee hat.
>
> Do you know what are OSI expectations on contributions?
> ◾To make annual contributions towards the running of OSI where possible.

The agreement[1] goes into more details. It states that as an OSI
Affiliate Member you have the following responsibility:

"To the extent possible, make annual and/or project-specific
contributions, monetary and/or otherwise, to aid OSI and its
special-interest projects."

[1] https://opensource.org/affiliateAgreement

I was thinking that our contribution could be to support their messaging
with our communications, and have staff participate in their initiatives
where applicable. I'm definitely interested in engaging more directly
with OSI, for the reasons I explained in the last paragraph on my email.
I don't think we should "sponsor" them as I find weird to have
Foundations sponsor other Foundations (but I encourage our members to
become sponsors of OSI !).

Allison Randal was on OSI board of directors, maybe she can clarify what
that expectation is. In all cases, if we start this process we would
have that agreement reviewed by our lawyers to clarify our commitments
before we proceed.

Anni Lai wrote:
> The sponsors, and the annual corporate revenues annual donations are listed here - https://opensource.org/sponsors
>
> I do have one question though - I see Linux Foundation (sponsor) and Eclipse Foundation (supporter) are listed, but I don't see Apache Foundation. Does anyone have any insight as why Apache is not here?

According to some sources, the ASF was an affiliate in 2011-2012, I'm
not sure if they stopped, when they stopped or why they stopped. Maybe
Allison can tell us more...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Vincent Untz
Le mercredi 06 février 2019, à 16:53 +0100, Thierry Carrez a écrit :

> This is very much in line with the OpenStack Foundation objectives, so I'd
> like to propose that the OpenStack Foundation becomes an affiliate
> organization of the OSI. Other open source foundations, like the Mozilla
> Foundation, Eclipse Foundation, Linux Foundation, Python Software Foundation
> or Perl Foundation are already affiliates.
>
> You can learn more about the process at:
> https://opensource.org/affiliates/about
>
> Does anyone have concerns with that, before we proceed ?
>
> On a personal note... I think that today, open source is necessary, but not
> sufficient: we also need to define standards on how open source software is
> built, not just how the resulting software is licensed. However that work
> cannot happen unless we base it on a strong open source definition, and
> participating as an OSI affiliate would give us opportunities to have those
> new standardization discussion at that level.

+1

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Davanum Srinivas
Thierry,

2012 was around the time the affiliate agreement was drafted, but governance OSI itself was not fully in place. So there were concerns about clauses in there (see the 48 hours rule). other things i remember was ASF as a 501c3 having to pay for it. That's when ASF quietly pulled out if i remember right. However there were several people like JimJag were on the board of the OSI with their personal hat on and guided the OSI for a while.

thanks,
Dims

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:41 AM Thierry Carrez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anni Lai wrote:
> The sponsors, and the annual corporate revenues annual donations are listed here - https://opensource.org/sponsors
>
> I do have one question though - I see Linux Foundation (sponsor) and Eclipse Foundation (supporter) are listed, but I don't see Apache Foundation. Does anyone have any insight as why Apache is not here?

According to some sources, the ASF was an affiliate in 2011-2012, I'm
not sure if they stopped, when they stopped or why they stopped. Maybe
Allison can tell us more...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Arkady.Kanevsky
That makes sense.
We should promote OSI message  and open source ecosystem.
Thanks,
Arkady

> Do you know what are OSI expectations on contributions?
> ◾To make annual contributions towards the running of OSI where possible.

The agreement[1] goes into more details. It states that as an OSI Affiliate Member you have the following responsibility:

"To the extent possible, make annual and/or project-specific contributions, monetary and/or otherwise, to aid OSI and its special-interest projects."

[1] https://opensource.org/affiliateAgreement

I was thinking that our contribution could be to support their messaging with our communications, and have staff participate in their initiatives where applicable. I'm definitely interested in engaging more directly with OSI, for the reasons I explained in the last paragraph on my email.
I don't think we should "sponsor" them as I find weird to have Foundations sponsor other Foundations (but I encourage our members to become sponsors of OSI !).

Allison Randal was on OSI board of directors, maybe she can clarify what that expectation is. In all cases, if we start this process we would have that agreement reviewed by our lawyers to clarify our commitments before we proceed.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Sean McGinnis-2

The agreement[1] goes into more details. It states that as an OSI
Affiliate Member you have the following responsibility:

"To the extent possible, make annual and/or project-specific
contributions, monetary and/or otherwise, to aid OSI and its
special-interest projects."

[1] https://opensource.org/affiliateAgreement

This sounds great to me. Open source is a very key thing of who we are, so
I agree we should support OSI.

Sean

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Thierry Carrez
Hi everyone,

Since the affiliate agreement asks for some requirements that we need to
clarify, it will take a bit of time to process.

In the mean time, the OSI is interested in adding signatures to their
recent "Affirmation of the Open Source Definition":

https://opensource.org/node/966

According to [1], this is not limited to their affiliates, and they
"will add more organizations as they reach out to be included".

[1] https://twitter.com/OpenSourceOrg/status/1093546182465458177

I think this is a statement the OSF can get behind, and it does not come
with further requirements. Time is of the essence to add ourselves to
that, since they are still making a lot of communications around this. I
propose that we reach out the OSI to add the OpenStack Foundation
immediately to that list of signatures, in parallel to pursuing formal
OSI affiliation.

Thoughts ?

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 5:33 AM Thierry Carrez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'd support this path +1 @ttx

Thoughts ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Arkady.Kanevsky

+1

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

Melvin Hillsman
+1

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1

Re: Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate org

VAN WYK, RYAN L

+1

Ryan van Wyk

Assistant Vice President (AVP) – Network Cloud Software Engineering

C: 312-860-0966

[hidden email]