Extended Availabiliy Zone data validity

Laura Alves
Hi there,

I'm documenting this Compute API extension:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/21471/, which returns the availability zone the instance is currently in. This also caches the results for an hour.

I know availability zones do not really change that often, but we at docs wonder which date stamps to look for to see if the availability zone information is accurate.

I assume the "updated" field refers to the very last modification applied on that instance, but since the av is cached, it may not be reflected immediately, is that correct?  I just wanna make sure it's worth it to add a hint about it in the doc reference.

Thanks!
ladquin

Re: Extended Availabiliy Zone data validity

Russell Bryant
On 03/25/2013 08:09 PM, Laura Alves wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm documenting this Compute API extension:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/21471/, which returns the availability
> zone the instance is currently in. This also caches the results for an hour.
>
> I know availability zones do not really change that often, but we at
> docs wonder which date stamps to look for to see if the availability
> zone information is accurate.
>
> I assume the "updated" field refers to the very last modification
> applied on that instance, but since the av is cached, it may not be
> reflected immediately, is that correct?  I just wanna make sure it's
> worth it to add a hint about it in the doc reference.

The caching is an internal implementation detail.  If we felt like this
was enough of a problem, we should make the code more intelligent.  I
would leave mention of it out of the docs completely.

Russell Bryant