Hardware failure - "nova reboot / rescue"

Hardware failure - "nova reboot / rescue"

Leandro Reox
Hi all,

In case of hardware failure, is there a way to restart the instances that
have died on the crashed node on another node, without scripting (manual or
automatic), any native function in nova cactus ? nova-reboot only restart
domains in "shutdown" mode, on the same node after a reboot. And my domains
if the node crash forever due hardware issue the VMs still in running state
on db, cant issue nova-reboot either. Is there any method or i have to wait
till diable "rescue" feature ?

Regards
Lele
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Openstack] Hardware failure - "nova reboot / rescue"

Vishvananda Ishaya
Reboot should really allow you to reboot a non-running vm as well. This has worked at various times, so if it doesn't currently it should be filed as a bug.  As a workaround, you may be able to update the state in of the vm to shutdown manually in the db and execute a reboot command.  You can also go to the compute host and manually do a virsh define /path/to/libvirt.xml followed by a virsh start instance-xxxxxxxx

Vish

On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:24 PM, Leandro Reox wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In case of hardware failure, is there a way to restart the instances that have died on the crashed node on another node, without scripting (manual or automatic), any native function in nova cactus ? nova-reboot only restart domains in "shutdown" mode, on the same node after a reboot. And my domains if the node crash forever due hardware issue the VMs still in running state on db, cant issue nova-reboot either. Is there any method or i have to wait till diable "rescue" feature ?
>
> Regards
> Lele _______________________________________________
> Post to     : openstack at lists.launchpad.net

setting state to shutoff error

Sharif Islam

[Openstack] Hardware failure - "nova reboot / rescue"

Leandro Reox
Vish,

Yep reboot works ok for non running vms. And we're doing everything else via
custom scripts, just asking if theres a better way to do it :)

Regards
Lele