Openstack/Devstack + nginx + scalability

Openstack/Devstack + nginx + scalability

Geronimo Orozco
Hi, I am very interested in scalabity and HA with horizon is there any effort to provide nginx to devstack(for start) ?

Where can I join to that effort ?

Any other interested ?

Re: Openstack/Devstack + nginx + scalability

Monty Taylor
On 07/09/2013 02:05 PM, Geronimo Orozco wrote:
> Hi, I am very interested in scalabity and HA with horizon is there any
> effort to provide nginx to devstack(for start) ?

I'm not sure that devstack is going to be the best place to poke at
scaling concerns or HA concerns for horizon. (the best way to do  both
with horizon is to scale out behind a load balancer - there is no local
state)

It's possible I'm missing something though - is there another reason
that having nginx support in devstack might be useful?

> Where can I join to that effort ?

The TripleO team is certainly interested in HA and scaleout stories for
openstack - perhaps drop by #tripleo?

> I just joined to this
> blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-r-webscale

That blueprint is more about packaging requirements for ubuntu itself.

> Any other interested ?

Re: Openstack/Devstack + nginx + scalability

Geronimo Orozco
Hi Monty,

I'll jump over  tripleO team to see what they are doing...

My initial concern or request was to start  with a minimal setting using devstacks with nginx and load balancer if that's is not the right way to start then I'll be very thankful on how I can start poking around that feature ..

Thanks for your reply

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Monty Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/09/2013 02:05 PM, Geronimo Orozco wrote:
> Hi, I am very interested in scalabity and HA with horizon is there any
> effort to provide nginx to devstack(for start) ?

I'm not sure that devstack is going to be the best place to poke at
scaling concerns or HA concerns for horizon. (the best way to do  both
with horizon is to scale out behind a load balancer - there is no local
state)

It's possible I'm missing something though - is there another reason
that having nginx support in devstack might be useful?

> Where can I join to that effort ?

The TripleO team is certainly interested in HA and scaleout stories for
openstack - perhaps drop by #tripleo?
That blueprint is more about packaging requirements for ubuntu itself.

> Any other interested ?

Re: Openstack/Devstack + nginx + scalability

Dean Troyer
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Geronimo Orozco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My initial concern or request was to start  with a minimal setting using
> devstacks with nginx and load balancer if that's is not the right way to
> start then I'll be very thankful on how I can start poking around that
> feature ..

You certainly could use DevStack as the backend for your initial
config/testing work and semi-automate the setup using a script in
devstack/extras.d that will run from stack.sh.  But I think you'll
find it inadequate to support any scale/HA testing and will need to
eventually use something else anyway.

BTW, I will resist strongly any suggestions to add nginx as an option
to DevStack.  We've already got too many choices in there...

dt

--

Dean Troyer