Openstack Foundation in my mind

Frans Thamura
hi all

my mind of foundation for openstack, which i am work very close with JCP
(Java), Eclipse, Apache

i think OpenStack , which a lot of company support, more eclipse than apache
or gnome.

the development in eclipse , support corporate employee as member, which rep
of the company, like oracle, ibm inside eclipse.

they can submit proposal to eclipse as new project

--
Frans Thamura (???)
Chief of Advisory

Mobile: +628557888699
Blog: http://blogs.mervpolis.com/roller/flatburger (id)

FB: http://www.facebook.com/meruvian
TW: http://www.twitter.com/meruvian / @meruvian
Website: http://www.meruvian.org

"We grow because we share the same belief."

Openstack Foundation in my mind

Jay Pipes
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Frans Thamura <frans at meruvian.org> wrote:
> hi all
> my mind of foundation for openstack, which i am work very close with JCP
> (Java), Eclipse, Apache
> i think OpenStack , which a lot of company support, more eclipse than apache
> or gnome.
> the development in eclipse , support corporate employee as member, which rep
> of the company, like oracle, ibm inside eclipse.
> they can submit proposal to eclipse as new project

I actually would prefer something on the opposite end of the spectrum
from the Eclipse Foundation.

Eclipse is almost entirely driven by tools vendors. OpenStack is not.
It's driven mostly by cloud deployers and services companies, not
vendors selling open (and closed) source widgets and tools around
cloud deployments. I think tools vendors tend to narrow the focus of a
foundation to the point of being overly commercialized and
self-serving versus foundations where users, integrators and
implementors drive the direction of innovation in the community.

But this is just my opinion, nothing more.
-jay

Openstack Foundation in my mind

Frans Thamura

> I actually would prefer something on the opposite end of the spectrum
> from the Eclipse Foundation.

i am agree with u :)

this model, make eclipse is more corporate hand in "foundation" brand rather
real community development

but strong in sponsorship :)

> Eclipse is almost entirely driven by tools vendors. OpenStack is not.
> It's driven mostly by cloud deployers and services companies, not
> vendors selling open (and closed) source widgets and tools around
> cloud deployments. I think tools vendors tend to narrow the focus of a
> foundation to the point of being overly commercialized and
> self-serving versus foundations where users, integrators and
> implementors drive the direction of innovation in the community.

i am join this mailing list to know positioning of the foundation, glad can
be part from the starting day :)