Openstack integration with xcp

Leandro Reox
Hi all, this is my first post at the openstack list, i've researching a
while before i started to install openstack, actually i deployed a
single-node installation of cactus version, i able to run instances and
works like charm. But the company needs today are far away of my deployment,
we need

- Phiscal nodes high-availability
- VMs high-availability - ( live migration between cluster pool members )
- Integration with AWS - EC2 ( to deploy transparently images there or in
our production environment)
- Storage access compatibility ( make transparten to the developers the way
that they application access to the data, neither is on our production
environment or an amazon server)
- Chef integration to deploy machines based on roles ( bd, webserver, etc,
etc )

Currently we have an OracleVM environment that handles very well the
high-availability stuff and we can deploy machines pretty quickly by
clonning "Golden-images" of each role that we need, but that doesnt scale
anymore and we want to migrate to an openstack environment.

So, whats the best solution for us ? , since OracleVM is based on xen we've
thinking about openstack+xcp environment, but i really cant find
documentation on how to do that. Really worth to integrate openstack with
xcp ? or is a better solution to deploy openstack controller + a lot of
openstack nodes to run vms ?  I found the way to clusterize xcp pretty
easily but i cant find that for openstack too, how the product manage where
to start a VM based on the host resources and stuff like that.

And of course , we need a dashboard for our developers to self-deploy VMs
based on images stored for they need. And the final big challenge, how to
integrate openstack+dashboard+xcp+chef to make the hole instance deployment
pretty straightforward to the users with less intervention of us.

I know that there are a lot of companys working with this scheme, so if you
guys can help me to get it right ill be really appreciate that, because
after reading so much, im kinda lost.

Best Regards

Lele
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Openstack integration with xcp

Todd Deshane
On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Leandro Reox <leandro.reox at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Lele,

Some comments inline.

 this is my first post at the openstack list, i've researching a

> while before i started to install openstack, actually i deployed a
> single-node installation of cactus version, i able to run instances and
> works like charm. But the company needs today are far away of my deployment,
> we need
> - Phiscal nodes high-availability
> - VMs high-availability - ( live migration between cluster pool members )
> - Integration with AWS - EC2 ( to deploy transparently images there or in
> our production environment)
> - Storage access compatibility ( make transparten to the developers the way
> that they application access to the data, neither is on our production
> environment or an amazon server)
> - Chef integration to deploy machines based on roles ( bd, webserver, etc,
> etc )
> Currently we have an OracleVM environment that handles very well the
> high-availability stuff and we can deploy machines pretty quickly by
> clonning "Golden-images" of each role that we need, but that doesnt scale
> anymore and we want to migrate to an openstack environment.
> So, whats the best solution for us ? , since OracleVM is based on xen we've
> thinking about openstack+xcp environment, but i really cant find
> documentation on how to do that.

This is a great place to start for now (the instructions work with XCP):
http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment

We (Xen.org and OpenStack) are working on making the process easy for
sysadmins. Stay tuned to the xen.org and openstack.org blogs for
updates.

> Really worth to integrate openstack with
> xcp ? or is a better solution to deploy openstack controller + a lot of
> openstack nodes to run vms ? ?I found the way to clusterize xcp pretty
> easily but i cant find that for openstack too, how the product manage where
> to start a VM based on the host resources and stuff like that.
>
> And of course , we need a dashboard for our developers to self-deploy VMs
> based on images stored for they need. And the final big challenge, how to
> integrate openstack+dashboard+xcp+chef to make the hole instance deployment
> pretty straightforward to the users with less intervention of us.

You should take a look at Dell's project Crowbar, which they plan to
make available open source.

http://robhirschfeld.com/2011/03/08/unboxing-openstack-clouds/

Thanks,
Todd

> I know that there are a lot of companys working with this scheme, so if you
> guys can help me to get it right ill be really appreciate that, because
> after reading so much, im kinda lost.
> Best Regards
>
> Lele

Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html

Openstack integration with xcp

Leandro Reox
Todd, thanks for the quick reply, some comments inline :

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane at xen.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Leandro Reox <leandro.reox at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi Lele,
>
> Some comments inline.
>
>  this is my first post at the openstack list, i've researching a
> > while before i started to install openstack, actually i deployed a
> > single-node installation of cactus version, i able to run instances and
> > works like charm. But the company needs today are far away of my
> deployment,
> > we need
> > - Phiscal nodes high-availability
> > - VMs high-availability - ( live migration between cluster pool members )
> > - Integration with AWS - EC2 ( to deploy transparently images there or in
> > our production environment)
> > - Storage access compatibility ( make transparten to the developers the
> way
> > that they application access to the data, neither is on our production
> > environment or an amazon server)
> > - Chef integration to deploy machines based on roles ( bd, webserver,
> etc,
> > etc )
> > Currently we have an OracleVM environment that handles very well the
> > high-availability stuff and we can deploy machines pretty quickly by
> > clonning "Golden-images" of each role that we need, but that doesnt scale
> > anymore and we want to migrate to an openstack environment.
> > So, whats the best solution for us ? , since OracleVM is based on xen
> we've
> > thinking about openstack+xcp environment, but i really cant find
> > documentation on how to do that.
>

> >> This is a great place to start for now (the instructions work with XCP):
> >> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
>
> >> We (Xen.org and OpenStack) are working on making the process easy for
> >>sysadmins. Stay tuned to the xen.org and openstack.org blogs for
> >>updates.

>>> I read that page of the wiki today just after i sent this email :) , i
think ill try that tomorrow

> > Really worth to integrate openstack with
> > xcp ? or is a better solution to deploy openstack controller + a lot of
> > openstack nodes to run vms ?  I found the way to clusterize xcp pretty
> > easily but i cant find that for openstack too, how the product manage
> where
> > to start a VM based on the host resources and stuff like that.
> >
> > And of course , we need a dashboard for our developers to self-deploy VMs
> > based on images stored for they need. And the final big challenge, how to
> > integrate openstack+dashboard+xcp+chef to make the hole instance
> deployment
> > pretty straightforward to the users with less intervention of us.
> >

> >> You should take a look at Dell's project Crowbar, which they plan to
> >>make available open source.
>
> >> http://robhirschfeld.com/2011/03/08/unboxing-openstack-clouds/
>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Todd
>

>>> That Crowbar gets OS will be a great think, ill be thinking, if i deploy
a schema with openstack as oschestrator, integrated with xen, if i use chef,
to interact with the openstack api  ( knife-openstack) ill be at the end
creating a VM on my clustered XCP environment since my openstack is
interacting directly with the xen-api in my master node, is that correct ?

> > I know that there are a lot of companys working with this scheme, so if
> you
> > guys can help me to get it right ill be really appreciate that, because
> > after reading so much, im kinda lost.
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Lele

> Todd Deshane
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
> http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html

Regards !
Lele
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Openstack integration with xcp

Outback Dingo

> You should take a look at Dell's project Crowbar, which they plan to
> make available open source.
>
> http://robhirschfeld.com/2011/03/08/unboxing-openstack-clouds/

not sure what good it does anyone until its released though, Im also not
sure itll integrate smoothly with XCP.
Theres not alot of info on it as of yet so we wait and see i guess, but from
the sound of it, it might be promising

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane at xen.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Leandro Reox <leandro.reox at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Todd, thanks for the quick reply, some comments inline :
> <snip>
>> That Crowbar gets OS will be a great think, ill be thinking, if i deploy
>> a schema with openstack as oschestrator, integrated with xen, if i use chef,
>> to interact with the openstack api ?( knife-openstack) ill be at the end
>> creating a VM on my clustered XCP environment since my openstack is
>> interacting directly with the xen-api in my master node, is that correct ?

This is the hope, yes.

Just to be clear, the current recommended configuration is the run
nova (OpenStack compute) in an XCP VM as opposed to dom0 since the
python version in dom0 is too old.

If you are not able to accomplish this, please let us know.

Thanks,
Todd

Openstack integration with xcp

Leandro Reox
List,

I finally get a nova-controller and a separate nova-compute installed, but
the nova compute is not connecting to the controller, everything in the
nova.conf seems ok but when i restart the nova compute service i get a
CRITICAL error with this :

2011-05-03 10:19:56,420 CRITICAL nova [-] (OperationalError) (1054, "Unknown
column 'floating_ips_1.auto_assigned' in 'field list'")

Somebody know why the compute node is not seeing this table on the
controller database ?

Regards