Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am
Hi Everyone ,

                   I would like to know if there is any openstack user group in Singapore? I can't seem to be able to find one on the wiki. If not, how can I go about starting one? Thanks!

Regards
Billy

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

Atul Jha
Billy,

This link has the info you are looking for https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStackUserGroups/HowTo

<snip>

Hi Everyone ,

                   I would like to know if there is any openstack user group in Singapore? I can't seem to be able to find one on the wiki. If not, how can I go about starting one? Thanks!

Regards
Billy

</snip>

Looking forward to see the first OpenStack meetup in Singapore. :)

Cheers!!

Atul
http://www.csscorp.com/common/email-disclaimer.php

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am

Thanks Atul. How can i go about starting one? Do i have to register at a site or must have a specific domain name or such rules?

I thought there is a group since openstack.sg and .com.sg are owned by rackspace.

On Mar 26, 2013 7:20 PM, "Atul Jha" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We for India group created a meetup page which solves almost all of our needs apart from that we have social media presence on twitter/Fb/G+/Linkedin

After that we added out community list with contact persons in here https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_User_Groups

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks!!

Atul
http://www.csscorp.com/common/email-disclaimer.php

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am
Thanks Atul. Perhaps thats a good idea.

I ask for it because if rackspace is starting a group or interested in starting one in SG then I don't have to go through all these troubles. Its either the parent company starts the ball rolling or it supports the group. Case in point would be Canonical , as you can see from my signature , which provides legitmacy to Ubuntu loco team in SG. There is no point starting a group then and realised the parent company is also doing the same thing.

Regards
Billy

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Atul Jha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Billy,

<snip>

Thanks Atul. How can i go about starting one? Do i have to register at a site or must have a specific domain name or such rules?
</snip>

We for India group created a meetup page which solves almost all of our needs apart from that we have social media presence on twitter/Fb/G+/Linkedin

After that we added out community list with contact persons in here https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_User_Groups

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks!!

Atul
http://www.csscorp.com/common/email-disclaimer.php

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

Stefano Maffulli
On 03/26/2013 06:12 AM, billy am wrote:
> I ask for it because if rackspace is starting a group or interested in
> starting one in SG then I don't have to go through all these troubles.

There have been messages about starting a group in Singapore at
different times but until there is one on the wiki we can assume that
one doesn't exist :)

Hunter Nied from morphlabs expressed interest in the past.

There may be also more people from Singapore that can help you on the
APEC google group

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-US&fromgroups#!forum/openstack-apec-group-discussion

> Its either the parent company starts the ball rolling or it supports the
> group. Case in point would be Canonical , as you can see from my
> signature , which provides legitmacy to Ubuntu loco team in SG. There is
> no point starting a group then and realised the parent company is also
> doing the same thing.

Rackspace is no parent company of OpenStack: Rackspace is a sponsor of
the OpenStack Foundation, just as Canonical and other companies are.
Anybody can create an OpenStack user group, they are and should always
be totally separated from commercial interests. The user groups should
be the place where people go to learn about OpenStack and share their
knowledge with their peers.

Maybe we can make it more clear on the
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStackUserGroups/HowTo.

/stef

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am
Hi Stefano ,

                  Thank you so much for the clarification. I can then reasonably say that RackSpace owning openstack.sg and openstack.com.sg domains are for purely commercial/trademark reasons on their own and not relating to openstack.org or community-at-large. Its fine by me.

                   If nobody has done it then I have. I have initiated one on wiki and we'll see how it goes from there. I would like to say a big thank you to Atul and to Stefano for helping me and removing my doubts on sensitive matters. I am sure I would need more help in future :)

                   Perhaps right now , I should do a quick and proper intro about myself as well as my sincere apology for not doing that from the start.

                   I have been involved with OpenSource since my Secondary school (High School in US) days and been involved in various groups in Singapore such as Linux Users Group and so on. I have also initiated Ubuntu loco group in Singapore , pls kindly refer to my signature , and have been actively participating since it was started. I could be contacted on Freenode channel #ubuntu-sg or facebook page (for both teams) , as well as this email. Of course , I am also on launchpad.

Regards
Billy

On Tue 26 Mar 2013 06:48:21 PM PDT, billy am wrote:
>                   Thank you so much for the clarification. I can then
> reasonably say that RackSpace owning openstack.sg
> <http://openstack.sg> and openstack.com.sg <http://openstack.com.sg>
> domains are for purely commercial/trademark reasons on their own and
> not relating to openstack.org <http://openstack.org> or
> community-at-large. Its fine by me.

This is something the OpenStack Foundation needs to investigate. These
domains (and openstack-sg.com) need to be owned by the foundation as
the trademark is owned by the Foundation, not by Rackspace.

>                    If nobody has done it then I have. I have initiated
> one on wiki and we'll see how it goes from there. I would like to say
> a big thank you to Atul and to Stefano for helping me and removing my
> doubts on sensitive matters. I am sure I would need more help in future :)

Absolutely, a pleasure. I've added Singapore to the map on
openstack.org/community, too. Please let me know the dates for the next
meetings of the user group so I can add them to the events page.

/stef

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

Dave Neary-3
Hi Stefano,

On 03/27/2013 01:21 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> This is something the OpenStack Foundation needs to investigate. These
> domains (and openstack-sg.com) need to be owned by the foundation as the
> trademark is owned by the Foundation, not by Rackspace.

Interesting - in the GNOME project we have a trademark process for
community groups, which includes permission to register domain names
containing the trademark, subject to certain terms and conditions. My
understanding is that the site does not need to be owned by the
foundation, but that the foundation must approve each use of its
trademarks - not quite the same thing.

Would there be a possibility to include using an OpenStack related URL
in the OpenStack trademark policy:
http://www.openstack.org/brand/openstack-trademark-policy/ or perhaps
create a community group trademark agreement for user groups?

The current agreement says:
"Third parties may use the OpenStack Word Mark in publications [...]
provided that:
[...]
You do not apply to register or register any term comprised or
consisting of in whole or in part the OpenStack Word Mark or any
confusingly similar mark as trademarks, service marks, corporate names,
trade names or domain names, Internet keywords, metatags, or trigger
words to lead to a website or other Internet destination."

This seems very broad, considering the extent to which OpenStack has
been adopted in URLs and metatags to assist in SEO. Something which
allows fan sites and local user group sites to sprout up would be, I
think, better.

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am
Just to add my experience with Ubuntu Community Council and Canonical . The domain Ubuntu-sg.org is owned by Canonical , actually ubuntu-[country-code].org is official loco domain but Ubuntu.sg is mine. A simple whois can verify the owner and the date of registration. Yet neither Canonical nor Ubuntu Council has sent me or the Singapore team any requests for releasing the domain to them.

OpenStack.my (Malaysian Group) domain is owned by a non rackspace/openstack.org entity/person as well. Thats why I asked why was openstack.sg registered by rackspace , same for openstack.com.sg. So I have no choice but to go for OpenStack-SG.org.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Dave Neary <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ph: <a href="tel:%2B33%209%2050%2071%2055%2062" target="_blank" value="+33950715562">+33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: <a href="tel:%2B33%206%2077%2001%2092%2013" target="_blank" value="+33677019213">+33 6 77 01 92 13

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

Frans Thamura
welcome to the openstack world

greet from openstack usergroup indonesia

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am
Hi Frans ,

                Thanks for the warm welcome. Indonesia has always have a very strong community user/developer base for opensource and likewise for Malaysia. I am sure Singapore team has a lot to learn from you guys :P
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Frans Thamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
welcome to the openstack world

greet from openstack usergroup indonesia

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

Frans Thamura
our pleaseure

but the OpenStack UG, is still "weak" compare to another community
that i manage, esp Java..

we need to work together, because in this segment, we are new.

my agenda to bring ASEAN grade user group to every country, i wish you
can start to work together with us.. esp singapore is the ASEAN HQ
usually for the vendors related to cloud..

so to bring good UG, we need you there..

glad have singaporean here now.

i add you, so we can start collaborate.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM, billy am <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Frans ,
>
>                 Thanks for the warm welcome. Indonesia has always have a
> very strong community user/developer base for opensource and likewise for
> Malaysia. I am sure Singapore team has a lot to learn from you guys :P
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Frans Thamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> welcome to the openstack world
>>
>> greet from openstack usergroup indonesia

> VSP 5 , MCSA (Security) , MCSA , CCNA , LPIC - Lvl 1 , Security+ ,  Network+
> , A+

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am
Singapore has very strong commercial/enterprise presence but little community involvement. In fact , all that are in Singapore are HQs. Regional directors and sales/marketing teams. Technical teams are elsewhere in the region. The fact that Singapore team starts out this late says it all , although there has been interests in the past as mentioned previously.
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Frans Thamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
our pleaseure

but the OpenStack UG, is still "weak" compare to another community
that i manage, esp Java..

we need to work together, because in this segment, we are new.

my agenda to bring ASEAN grade user group to every country, i wish you
can start to work together with us.. esp singapore is the ASEAN HQ
usually for the vendors related to cloud..

so to bring good UG, we need you there..

glad have singaporean here now.

i add you, so we can start collaborate.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM, billy am <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Frans ,
>
>                 Thanks for the warm welcome. Indonesia has always have a
> very strong community user/developer base for opensource and likewise for
> Malaysia. I am sure Singapore team has a lot to learn from you guys :P
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Frans Thamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> welcome to the openstack world
>>
>> greet from openstack usergroup indonesia

> VSP 5 , MCSA (Security) , MCSA , CCNA , LPIC - Lvl 1 , Security+ ,  Network+
> , A+

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

Frans Thamura

we know.

heheh. that why there are kiashu comic book. isnt it.

my experience, vendor dont like community presence that related to opensource

redhat, suse is not opensource.

i believe openstack also same.. they dont like it

On Mar 28, 2013 1:39 PM, "billy am" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Singapore has very strong commercial/enterprise presence but little community involvement. In fact , all that are in Singapore are HQs. Regional directors and sales/marketing teams. Technical teams are elsewhere in the region. The fact that Singapore team starts out this late says it all , although there has been interests in the past as mentioned previously.
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Frans Thamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
our pleaseure

but the OpenStack UG, is still "weak" compare to another community
that i manage, esp Java..

we need to work together, because in this segment, we are new.

my agenda to bring ASEAN grade user group to every country, i wish you
can start to work together with us.. esp singapore is the ASEAN HQ
usually for the vendors related to cloud..

so to bring good UG, we need you there..

glad have singaporean here now.

i add you, so we can start collaborate.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM, billy am <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Frans ,
>
>                 Thanks for the warm welcome. Indonesia has always have a
> very strong community user/developer base for opensource and likewise for
> Malaysia. I am sure Singapore team has a lot to learn from you guys :P
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Frans Thamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> welcome to the openstack world
>>
>> greet from openstack usergroup indonesia

> VSP 5 , MCSA (Security) , MCSA , CCNA , LPIC - Lvl 1 , Security+ ,  Network+
> , A+

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am
I would have to disagree on Red Hat and Suse in SG.

Red Hat is strong in SG. Suse not much. Ubuntu as well. Cloud providers no.

Land is extremely expensive in Singapore , so datacenters costs a lot of $$$. I have ran a hosting company before. Singapore hosting company plans , shared/reseller/dedicated/vps , all have higher prices than overseas companies , even more than HK and TW.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
Team Ubuntu Singapore

VSP 5 , MCSA (Security) , MCSA , CCNA , LPIC - Lvl 1 , Security+ ,  Network+ , A+

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

Avner Algom
Greetings from openstack usergroup Israel

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Frans Thamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
welcome to the openstack world

greet from openstack usergroup indonesia

Re: Openstack user group in Singapore

billy am
Hello from SG!

Glad to see so many team members from around the world.

On Wed 27 Mar 2013 10:59:30 PM PDT, billy am wrote:
> Thats why I asked why was openstack.sg <http://openstack.sg>
> registered by rackspace , same for openstack.com.sg
> <http://openstack.com.sg>. So I have no choice but to go for
> OpenStack-SG.org.

I think there is no problem for you to use that domain for
community-related activities. At the moment the official policy is for
the Foundation to own the domains and allow the user groups to use them.

Dave: thank you for your comments. I'll report your comments to the
foundation's managers.

Cheers,
stef