Package from Debian for Devstack?

Adam Young
In order to provide Devstack a better certificate management example, we
want to make devstack capable of calling Certmaster.

This package is in Debian, but not in Ubuntu.

For example
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/certmaster

How does one go about installing a package like this for devstack? Do we
need to get it into the underlying distro, or is a cross distro install
acceptable?

I've tested it by hand and it install and works fine when
pre-installed.  Its just a distribution problem.

Re: Package from Debian for Devstack?

Sean Dague-2
On 12/02/2013 06:15 PM, Adam Young wrote:

> In order to provide Devstack a better certificate management example, we
> want to make devstack capable of calling Certmaster.
>
> This package is in Debian, but not in Ubuntu.
>
> For example
> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/certmaster
>
> How does one go about installing a package like this for devstack? Do we
> need to get it into the underlying distro, or is a cross distro install
> acceptable?
>
> I've tested it by hand and it install and works fine when
> pre-installed.  Its just a distribution problem.

That means it works, right now. But not being in the distro means there
are no guaruntees of it working in the future.

Honestly, at this point I'd -1 an add like this. I think pulling a
package out of experimental is not really inspiring confidence. I'd
suggest looking for a package available in Ubuntu natively.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net

Re: Package from Debian for Devstack?

Chuck Short

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Sean Dague <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/02/2013 06:15 PM, Adam Young wrote:
> In order to provide Devstack a better certificate management example, we
> want to make devstack capable of calling Certmaster.
>
> This package is in Debian, but not in Ubuntu.
>
> For example
> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/certmaster
>
> How does one go about installing a package like this for devstack? Do we
> need to get it into the underlying distro, or is a cross distro install
> acceptable?
>
> I've tested it by hand and it install and works fine when
> pre-installed.  Its just a distribution problem.

That means it works, right now. But not being in the distro means there
are no guaruntees of it working in the future.

Honestly, at this point I'd -1 an add like this. I think pulling a
package out of experimental is not really inspiring confidence. I'd
suggest looking for a package available in Ubuntu natively.

        -Sean

Hi,

So the way that the package syncs works from Debian to Ubuntu is that a package usually moves from Experimental->Unstable->Testing, Ubuntu usually picks the package up in Unstable and gets placed in Universe (usually). However that doesnt mean that the package will hit the cloud archive as well.

Regards
chuck

On 12/02/2013 08:20 PM, Chuck Short wrote:

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Sean Dague <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/02/2013 06:15 PM, Adam Young wrote:
> In order to provide Devstack a better certificate management example, we
> want to make devstack capable of calling Certmaster.
>
> This package is in Debian, but not in Ubuntu.
>
> For example
> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/certmaster
>
> How does one go about installing a package like this for devstack? Do we
> need to get it into the underlying distro, or is a cross distro install
> acceptable?
>
> I've tested it by hand and it install and works fine when
> pre-installed.  Its just a distribution problem.

That means it works, right now. But not being in the distro means there
are no guaruntees of it working in the future.

Honestly, at this point I'd -1 an add like this. I think pulling a
package out of experimental is not really inspiring confidence. I'd
suggest looking for a package available in Ubuntu natively.

Yeah, wasn't suggesting we do that long term, just pointing out that it is a release issue, not a current code issue.

        -Sean

Hi,

So the way that the package syncs works from Debian to Ubuntu is that a package usually moves from Experimental->Unstable->Testing, Ubuntu usually picks the package up in Unstable and gets placed in Universe (usually). However that doesnt mean that the package will hit the cloud archive as well.
How does a package make these transitions?  Certmaster has been in Experimental since 2009.

Regards
chuck

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Adam Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/02/2013 08:20 PM, Chuck Short wrote:

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Sean Dague <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/02/2013 06:15 PM, Adam Young wrote:
> In order to provide Devstack a better certificate management example, we
> want to make devstack capable of calling Certmaster.
>
> This package is in Debian, but not in Ubuntu.
>
> For example
> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/certmaster
>
> How does one go about installing a package like this for devstack? Do we
> need to get it into the underlying distro, or is a cross distro install
> acceptable?
>
> I've tested it by hand and it install and works fine when
> pre-installed.  Its just a distribution problem.

That means it works, right now. But not being in the distro means there
are no guaruntees of it working in the future.

Honestly, at this point I'd -1 an add like this. I think pulling a
package out of experimental is not really inspiring confidence. I'd
suggest looking for a package available in Ubuntu natively.

Yeah, wasn't suggesting we do that long term, just pointing out that it is a release issue, not a current code issue.

        -Sean

Hi,

So the way that the package syncs works from Debian to Ubuntu is that a package usually moves from Experimental->Unstable->Testing, Ubuntu usually picks the package up in Unstable and gets placed in Universe (usually). However that doesnt mean that the package will hit the cloud archive as well.
How does a package make these transitions?  Certmaster has been in Experimental since 2009.

It looks unmaintained to me, it never got out of experimental.

Regards
chuck

Re: Package from Debian for Devstack?

Thomas Goirand
On 12/04/2013 04:51 AM, Adam Young wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So the way that the package syncs works from Debian to Ubuntu is that
>> a package usually moves from Experimental->Unstable->Testing, Ubuntu
>> usually picks the package up in Unstable and gets placed in Universe
>> (usually). However that doesnt mean that the package will hit the
>> cloud archive as well.
> How does a package make these transitions?  Certmaster has been in
> Experimental since 2009.

When a package is in Sid for N days without release critical bugs (N can
be 5 or 10), and if all of its dependencies are in Testing, then it
migrates automatically from Sid to Testing.

Packages in Experimental never migrates to anything, they have to be
uploaded to Sid at some point.

In this specific case, I would suggest that you submit a bug against the
package (see http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting if you don't know
how), asking for the package to be uploaded in Sid. If after 1 month you
get no reply, then you can ping me, and I will NMU (non-maintainer
upload) the package into Sid (through the 2 days delayed queue, to let
the current maintainer react on it if he do not agree). Please send me
the bug report when you're done with it, and ping me if nothing happens
after a month.

Note that if there's not even a reply to the bug tracker after a month,
we can consider the current maintainer as MIA (Missing In Action), and
ask for the package to be "Orphaned" (so that someone else may adopt the
package).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)