Program description for Oslo

Mark McLoughlin
Hey

The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
"official title" is new.

  Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
  PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
  Mission Statement:
    To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
    shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
    should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.

I did consider explicitly mentioning technical debt with something like:

  Mission Statement:
    To tackle copy-and-paste technical debt in OpenStack by producing a
    set of python libraries containing infrastructure code shared by
    OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries should be
    high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.

But for wholly new code, that sounds like you need to introduce
copy-and-paste technical debt before it can be considered in scope for
Oslo :)

Cheers,
Mark.

Re: Program description for Oslo

Martyn Taylor
On 09/07/13 11:11, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> Hey
>
> The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
> "official title" is new.
>
>    Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
>    PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
>    Mission Statement:
>      To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>      shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>      should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
>
> I did consider explicitly mentioning technical debt with something like:
>
>    Mission Statement:
>      To tackle copy-and-paste technical debt in OpenStack by producing a
>      set of python libraries containing infrastructure code shared by
>      OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries should be
>      high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
>
> But for wholly new code, that sounds like you need to introduce
> copy-and-paste technical debt before it can be considered in scope for
> Oslo :)
>
> Cheers,
> Mark.

Is it worth adding some emphasis on documentation in there somewhere?
Specifically documentation for using the libraries and frameworks
offered by Oslo in OpenStack.  Maybe:

   Mission Statement:
     To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
     shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
     should be high quality, stable, consistent, well documented and generally applicable.

Cheers
Martyn

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 11:21 +0100, Martyn Taylor wrote:

> On 09/07/13 11:11, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hey
> >
> > The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
> > "official title" is new.
> >
> >    Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
> >    PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
> >    Mission Statement:
> >      To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
> >      shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
> >      should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
> >
> > I did consider explicitly mentioning technical debt with something like:
> >
> >    Mission Statement:
> >      To tackle copy-and-paste technical debt in OpenStack by producing a
> >      set of python libraries containing infrastructure code shared by
> >      OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries should be
> >      high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
> >
> > But for wholly new code, that sounds like you need to introduce
> > copy-and-paste technical debt before it can be considered in scope for
> > Oslo :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark.
>
> Is it worth adding some emphasis on documentation in there somewhere?
> Specifically documentation for using the libraries and frameworks
> offered by Oslo in OpenStack.  Maybe:
>
>    Mission Statement:
>      To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>      shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>      should be high quality, stable, consistent, well documented and
>      generally applicable.

I would have seen that as implicit, but no problem including it.

Cheers,
Mark.

Re: Program description for Oslo

Michael Still
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey
>
> The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
> "official title" is new.
>
>   Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
>   PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
>   Mission Statement:
>     To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>     shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>     should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.

This description looks good to me.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia

Re: Program description for Oslo

Thierry Carrez
Michael Still wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
>> "official title" is new.
>>
>>   Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
>>   PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
>>   Mission Statement:
>>     To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>>     shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>>     should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
>
> This description looks good to me.

+1

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 08:41 -0400, Jonathan Bryce wrote:
> Any reason for not just calling it "OpenStack Commons"?

Yes - we're very much focused on libraries of shared code. When we used
the name "OpenStack Common" previously, people made all sorts of weird
assumptions about what could go in there.

Cheers,
Mark.

> Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Hey
> >
> >The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
> >"official title" is new.
> >
> >  Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
> >  PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
> >  Mission Statement:
> >    To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
> >    shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
> >    should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
> >
> >I did consider explicitly mentioning technical debt with something like:
> >
> >  Mission Statement:
> >    To tackle copy-and-paste technical debt in OpenStack by producing a
> >    set of python libraries containing infrastructure code shared by
> >    OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries should be
> >    high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
> >
> >But for wholly new code, that sounds like you need to introduce
> >copy-and-paste technical debt before it can be considered in scope for
> >Oslo :)
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Mark.

Re: Program description for Oslo

Davanum Srinivas
+1

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Thierry Carrez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Still wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
>>> "official title" is new.
>>>
>>>   Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
>>>   PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
>>>   Mission Statement:
>>>     To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>>>     shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>>>     should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
>>
>> This description looks good to me.
>
> +1
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: Program description for Oslo

Flavio Percoco-2
On 09/07/13 11:33 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

>On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 11:21 +0100, Martyn Taylor wrote:
>> On 09/07/13 11:11, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> Is it worth adding some emphasis on documentation in there somewhere?
>> Specifically documentation for using the libraries and frameworks
>> offered by Oslo in OpenStack.  Maybe:
>>
>>    Mission Statement:
>>      To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>>      shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>>      should be high quality, stable, consistent, well documented and
>>      generally applicable.
>
>I would have seen that as implicit, but no problem including it.

"

+1 for the description!

Cheers,
FF

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco

Re: Program description for Oslo

Doug Hellmann

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey

The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
"official title" is new.

  Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
  PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
  Mission Statement:
    To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
    shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
    should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.

+1

What sort of code would not be "infrastructure" but would be "shared by OpenStack projects"? Is the "infrastructure" redundant?

Doug

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 11:39 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hey
>
>         The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
>         "official title" is new.
>
>           Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
>           PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
>           Mission Statement:
>             To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>             shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>             should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
>

> +1
>

> What sort of code would not be "infrastructure" but would be "shared
> by OpenStack projects"? Is the "infrastructure" redundant?

Simply saying "code" isn't enterprisey enough

(Point taken, removed :)

Mark.

Re: Program description for Oslo

Monty Taylor

On 07/09/2013 11:43 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 11:39 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>         Hey
>>
>>         The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
>>         "official title" is new.
>>
>>           Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
>>           PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
>>           Mission Statement:
>>             To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>>             shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>>             should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
>>

>> +1
>>

>> What sort of code would not be "infrastructure" but would be "shared
>> by OpenStack projects"? Is the "infrastructure" redundant?
>
> Simply saying "code" isn't enterprisey enough
>
> (Point taken, removed :)

Can you add synergy?

Re: Program description for Oslo

Dolph Mathews

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Monty Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 07/09/2013 11:43 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 11:39 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>         Hey
>>
>>         The mission statement is what we've been using for a while. The
>>         "official title" is new.
>>
>>           Official Title: OpenStack Common Libraries
>>           PTL: Mark McLoughlin <[hidden email]>
>>           Mission Statement:
>>             To produce a set of python libraries containing infrastructure code
>>             shared by OpenStack projects. The APIs provided by these libraries
>>             should be high quality, stable, consistent and generally applicable.
>>

>> +1
>>

>> What sort of code would not be "infrastructure" but would be "shared
>> by OpenStack projects"? Is the "infrastructure" redundant?
>
> Simply saying "code" isn't enterprisey enough
>
> (Point taken, removed :)

Can you add synergy?

+1 for renaming 'oslo' to 'synergism'

-Dolph