Re: [Edge-computing][tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Re: [Edge-computing][tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Bogdan Dobrelya-2
(cross-posting openstack-dev)

Hello.
[tl;dr] I'm looking for co-author(s) to come up with "Edge clouds data
consistency requirements and challenges" a position paper [0] (papers
submitting deadline is Nov 8).

The problem scope is synchronizing control plane and/or
deployments-specific data (not necessary limited to OpenStack) across
remote Edges and central Edge and management site(s). Including the same
aspects for overclouds and undercloud(s), in terms of TripleO; and other
deployment tools of your choice.

Another problem is to not go into different solutions for Edge
deployments management and control planes of edges. And for tenants as
well, if we think of tenants also doing Edge deployments based on Edge
Data Replication as a Service, say for Kubernetes/OpenShift on top of
OpenStack.

So the paper should name the outstanding problems, define data
consistency requirements and pose possible solutions for synchronization
and conflicts resolving. Having maximum autonomy cases supported for
isolated sites, with a capability to eventually catch up its distributed
state. Like global database [1], or something different perhaps (see
causal-real-time consistency model [2],[3]), or even using git. And
probably more than that?.. (looking for ideas)

See also the "check" list in-line, which I think also meets the data
consistency topics well - it would be always nice to have some
theoretical foundations at hand, when repairing some
1000-edges-spread-off and fully broken global database, by hand :)

PS. I must admit I have yet any experience with those IEEE et al
academic things and looking for someone who has it, to team and
co-author that positioning paper by. That's as a start, then we can
think of presenting it and expanding into work items for OpenStack Edge
WG and future development plans.

[0] http://conferences.computer.org/ICFC/2019/Paper_Submission.html
[1] https://review.openstack.org/600555
[2] https://jepsen.io/consistency
[3] http://www.cs.cornell.edu/lorenzo/papers/cac-tr.pdf

On 10/22/18 3:44 PM, Flavia Delicato wrote:

> =================================================================================
> IEEE International Conference on Fog Computing (ICFC 2019)
> June 24-26, 2019
> Prague, Czech Republic
> http://conferences.computer.org/ICFC/2019/
> Co-located with the IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering
> (IC2E 2019)
> ==================================================================================
>
> Important Dates
> ---------------
> Paper registration and abstract: Nov 1st, 2018
> Full paper submission due: Nov 8th, 2018
> Notification of paper acceptance: Jan. 20th, 2019
> Workshop and tutorial proposals due: Nov 11, 2018
> Notification of proposal acceptance: Nov 18, 2018
>
> Call for Contributions
> ----------------------
> Fog computing is the extension of cloud computing into its edge and
> the physical world to meet the data volume and decision velocity
> requirements in many emerging applications, such as augmented and
> virtual realities (AR/VR), cyber-physical systems (CPS), intelligent
> and autonomous systems, and mission-critical systems. The boundary
> between centralized, powerful computing cloud and massively
> distributed, Internet connected sensors, actuators, and things is
> blurred in this new computing paradigm.
>
> The ICFC 2019 technical program will feature tutorials, workshops, and
> research paper sessions. We solicit high-quality contributions in the
> above categories. Details of submission is available on the conference
> Web site. Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
>
> * System architecture for fog computing

(check)

> * Coordination between cloud, fog, and sensing/actuation endpoints
> * Connectivity, storage, and computation in the edge
> * Data processing and management for fog computing

(check)

> * Efficient and embedded AI in the fog
> * System and network manageability
> * Middleware and coordination platforms
> * Power, energy, and resource management
> * Device and hardware support for fog computing
> * Programming models, abstractions, and software engineering for fog computing

(check)

> * Security, privacy, and ethics issues related to fog computing
> * Theoretical foundations and formal methods for fog computing systems

(check)

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,

Re: [Edge-computing][tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Bogdan Dobrelya-2
I forgot to mention the submission registration and abstract has to be
submitted today. I've created it as #1570506394, and the paper itself
can be uploaded until the Nov 8 (or Nov 9 perhaps as the registration
system shows to me). I'm not sure that paper number is searchable
publicly, so here is the paper name and abstract for your kind review
please:

name: "Edge clouds control plane and management data consistency challenges"
abstract: "Fog computing is emerging Cloud of (Edge) Clouds technology.
Its control plane and deployments data synchronization is a major
challenge. Autonomy requirements expect even the most distant edge sites
always manageable, available for monitoring and alerting, scaling
up/down, upgrading and applying security fixes. Whenever temporary
disconnected sites are managed locally or centrally, some changes and
data need to be eventually synchronized back to the central site(s) with
having its merge-conflicts resolved for the central data hub(s). While
some data needs to be pushed from the central site(s) to the Edge, which
might require resolving data collisions at the remote sites as well. In
this paper, we position the outstanding data synchronization problems
for OpenStack cloud platform becoming a solution number one for fog
computing. We outline the data consistency requirements and design
approaches to meet the AA (Always Available) autonomy expectations.
Finally, the paper brings the vision of unified tooling, which solves
the data synchronization problems the same way for infrastructure
owners, IaaS cloud operators and tenants running workloads for PaaS like
OpenShift or Kubernetes deployed on top of OpenStack. The secondary goal
of this work is to help cloud architects and developers to federate
stateful cloud components over reliable distributed data backends and
having its failure modes known."
Thank you  for your time, if still reading this.

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,

Re: [Edge-computing] [tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Ildiko Vancsa
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your proposal.

I think this is a very interesting topic with a list of possible solutions some of which this group is also discussing. It would also be great to learn more about the IEEE activities and have experience about the process in this group on the way forward.

I personally do not have experience with IEEE conferences, but I’m happy to help with the paper if I can.

Thanks,
Ildikó

> [...]

> (dozens) of endpoints.     The concept that the StarlingX folks were
> talking about, that of independent databases that are synchronized
> using some kind of middleware is potentially more scalable, however I
> think the best approach would be API-level replication, that is, you
> have a bunch of Keystone services and there is a process that is
> regularly accessing the APIs of these keystone services and
> cross-publishing state amongst all of them.   Clearly the big
> challenge with that is how to resolve conflicts, I think the answer
> would lie in the fact that the data being replicated would be of
> limited scope and potentially consist of mostly or fully
> non-overlapping records.
>
> That is, I think "global database" is a cheap way to get what would be
> more effective as asynchronous state synchronization between identity

Recently we’ve been also exploring federation with an IdP (Identity Provider) master: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Keystone_edge_architectures#Identity_Provider_.28IdP.29_Master_with_shadow_users

One of the pros is that it removes the need for synchronization and potentially increases scalability.

Thanks,
Ildikó

> [...]
>>> Jiannong Cao, Hong Kong Polytech
>>> Flavia C. Delicato, UFRJ, Brazil
>>> Xiaotie Deng, Peking University, China
>>> Schahram Dustdar, TU Wien, Germany
>>> Maria Gorlatova, Duke University
>>> Dharanipragada Janakiram, IIT Madras
>>> Wenjing Luo, Virginia Tech
>>> Pedro José Marrón, Universität Duisburg-Essen
>>> Geyong Min, University of Exeter
>>> Suman Nath, Microsoft Research
>>> Vincenzo Piuri, Universita Degli Studi Di Milano
>>> Yong Meng Teo, National University of Singapore
>>> Guoliang Xing, Chinese University of Hong Kong
>>> Yuanyuan Yang, SUNY Stony Brook
>>> Xiaoyun Zhu, Cloudera
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Bogdan Dobrelya,
>> Irc #bogdando

Re: [Edge-computing] [tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Hello folks.
Here is an update for today. I crated a draft [0], and spend some time
with building LaTeX with live-updating for the compiled PDF... The
latter is only informational, if someone wants to contribute, please
follow the instructions listed by the link (hint: you need no to have
any LaTeX experience, only basic markdown knowledge should be enough!)

[0]
https://github.com/bogdando/papers-ieee/#in-the-current-development-looking-for-co-authors

On 10/31/18 6:54 PM, Ildiko Vancsa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for sharing your proposal.
>
> I think this is a very interesting topic with a list of possible solutions some of which this group is also discussing. It would also be great to learn more about the IEEE activities and have experience about the process in this group on the way forward.
>
> I personally do not have experience with IEEE conferences, but I’m happy to help with the paper if I can.
>
> Thanks,
> Ildikó

(added from the parallel thread)

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,

Re: [Edge-computing] [tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Bogdan Dobrelya-2
Thank you for a reply, Flavia:

> Hi Bogdan
> sorry for the late reply - yesterday was a Holiday here in Brazil!
> I am afraid I will not be able to engage in this collaboration with
> such a short time...we had to have started this initiative a little
> earlier...

That's understandable.

I hoped though a position paper is something we (all who reads that, not
just you and me) could achieve in a couple of days, without a lot of
research associated. That's a postion paper, which is not expected to
contain formal prove or implementation details. The vision for tooling
is the hardest part though, and indeed requires some time.

So let me please [tl;dr] the outcome of that position paper:

* position: given Always Available autonomy support as a starting point,
   define invariants for both operational and data storage consistency
   requirements of control/management plane (I've already drafted some in
   [0])

* vision: show that in the end that data synchronization and conflict
   resolving solution just boils down to having a causally
   consistent KVS (either causal+ or causal-RT, or lazy replication
   based, or anything like that), and cannot be achieved with *only*
   transactional distributed database, like Galera cluster. The way how
   to show that is an open question, we could refer to the existing
   papers (COPS, causal-RT, lazy replication et al) and claim they fit
   the defined invariants nicely, while transactional DB cannot fit it
   by design (it's consensus protocols require majority/quorums to
   operate and being always available for data put/write operations).
   We probably may omit proving that obvious thing formally? At least for
   the postion paper...

* opportunity: that is basically designing and implementing of such a
   causally-consistent KVS solution (see COPS library as example) for
   OpenStack, and ideally, unifying it for PaaS operators
   (OpenShift/Kubernetes) and tenants willing to host their containerized
   workloads on PaaS distributed over a Fog Cloud of Edge clouds and
   leverage its data synchronization and conflict resolving solution
   as-a-service. Like Amazon dynamo DB, for example, except that fitting
   the edge cases of another cloud stack :)

[0]
https://github.com/bogdando/papers-ieee/blob/master/ICFC-2019/challenges.md

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,

Re: [Edge-computing] [tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Bogdan Dobrelya-2
Update: I have yet found co-authors, I'll keep drafting that position
paper [0],[1]. Just did some baby steps so far. I'm open for feedback
and contributions!

PS. Deadline is Nov 9 03:00 UTC, but *may be* it will be extended, if
the event chairs decide to do so. Fingers crossed.

[0]
https://github.com/bogdando/papers-ieee#in-the-current-development-looking-for-co-authors

[1]
https://github.com/bogdando/papers-ieee/blob/master/ICFC-2019/LaTeX/position_paper_1570506394.pdf

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,

Re: [Edge-computing] [tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Bogdan Dobrelya-2
Folks, I have drafted a few more sections [0] for your /proof reading
and kind review please. Also left some notes for TBD things, either for
the potential co-authors' attention or myself :)

[0]

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,

Re: [Edge-computing] [tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Bogdan Dobrelya-2
Hi folks.
The deadline for papers seems to be extended till Nov 17, so that's a
great news!
I finished drafting the position paper [0],[1].

Please /proof read and review. There is also open questions placed there
and it would be really nice to have a co-author here for any of those
items remaining...

I'm also looking for some help with... **uploading PDF** to EDAS system!
:) It throws on me:
  pdf notstampable The PDF file is not compliant with PDF standards and
cannot be stamped (see FAQ)...

And FAQ says:

> "First, try using the most current version of dvipdf for LaTeX or the most current version of Word. You can also distill the file by using Acrobat (Pro, not Acrobat Reader):
> * Open the PDF file in Acrobat Pro;
> * Go to the File Menu > Save As or File > Export To... (in Adobe DC Pro) or File > Save As Other... > More Options > Postscript (in Adobe Pro version 11)
> * Give the file a new name (do not overwrite the original file);
> * Under "Save As Type", choose "PostScript File (*.ps)"
> * Open Distiller and browse for this file or go to the directory where the file exists and double click on the file - this will open and run Distiller and regenerate the PDF file.
>
> If you do not have Acrobat Pro, you can also try to save the PostScript version via Apple Preview, using the "Print..." menu and the "PDF v" selector in the lower left hand corner to pick "Save as PostScript...". Unfortunately, Apple Preview saves PDF files as version 1.3, which is not acceptable to PDF Xpress, but tools such as docupub appear to produce compliant PDF."

I have yet tried those MS word/adobe pro and distutils dances ( I think
I should try that as well... ), but neither docupub [2] nor dvipdf(m)
for LaTeX helped to produce a pdf edas can eat :-(

[0]
https://github.com/bogdando/papers-ieee/blob/master/ICFC-2019/LaTeX/position_paper_1570506394.tex
[2] https://docupub.com/pdfconvert/

> Folks, I have drafted a few more sections [0] for your /proof reading
> and kind review please. Also left some notes for TBD things, either for
> the potential co-authors' attention or myself :)
>
> [0]
> https://github.com/bogdando/papers-ieee/blob/master/ICFC-2019/LaTeX/position_paper_1570506394.pdf

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,
Irc #bogdando

Re: [Edge-computing] [tripleo][FEMDC] IEEE Fog Computing: Call for Contributions - Deadline Approaching

Bogdan Dobrelya-2
Hello.
The final version of the position paper "Edge Clouds Multiple Control
Planes Data Replication Challenges" [0],[1] drafted, and have been
uploaded to EDAS. The deadline expires today and I'm afraid there is no
time left for more of amendments. Thank you all for reviews and inputs,
and those edge sessions at the summit in Berlin were really mind opening!

PS. I wish I could have kept working on that draft while was attending
the summit, but that was not the case :)

[0]

On 11/8/18 6:58 PM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:

> Hi folks.
> The deadline for papers seems to be extended till Nov 17, so that's a
> great news!
> I finished drafting the position paper [0],[1].
>
> Please /proof read and review. There is also open questions placed there
> and it would be really nice to have a co-author here for any of those
> items remaining...

Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,
Irc #bogdando