Re: [Nova] Deprecating localfs?

Matt Riedemann-3
On 6/7/2017 10:20 PM, Michael Still wrote:

> Greetings from an ancient thread (but the most recent on to
> openstack-dev about localfs that I can find).
>
> In 2014, which were heady times, we decided that we couldn't deprecate
> nova.virt.disk.vfs.localfs because we theorised that FreeBSD and
> containers would soon need it. Oh, and xenapi uses it a little too.
>
> It is now three years later, and there has been some recent thought
> given to deprecating localfs again, which I bumped into when I chose
> this code as the first candidate for a prototype privsep user inside the
> nova codebase [1].
>
> I think we therefore need to have this conversation again. Do we still
> have any clear use cases for localfs? Where does guestfs not run at the
> moment? Or did I waste my time privsep'ing localfs?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> 1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459166/

We agreed at the Pike PTG to drop the VFSLocalFS driver. See the recap
notes from the PTG:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113171.html

I think it's just a matter of cleaning this up:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/324720/

Matt

Re: [Nova] Deprecating localfs?

Michael Still
Those notes are helpful, thanks.

Were the freebsd and container cases from this ancient thread discussed as well?

Michael

On 6/8/2017 11:35 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> Were the freebsd and container cases from this ancient thread discussed
> as well?

I don't remember talking about that at the PTG, no.

Matt