Re: [requirements] [ec2-api]How about using boto3instead ofboto in requirements

Re: [requirements] [ec2-api]How about using boto3instead ofboto in requirements

jiaopengju

Add core members of ec2-api to cc list.

Pengju Jiao
mail: [hidden email]

 原始邮件

Re: [requirements] [ec2-api]How about using boto3instead ofboto in requirements

jiaopengju

Hi Dims,

I got response from core member of ec2-api. What do you think about it?

----------------------------------

Hi,

I don't treat adding new library as a problem.

- I see that you don't remove boto - so your change doesn't affect ec2-api code.
- boto doesn't require botocore and jmespath
- right now ec2-api itself doesn't use botocore. botocore is needed only for functional tests of ec2-api.

P.S.
and I prefer to use botocore cause I know how to use it. I had such change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/198571/

Regards,
Andrey Pavlov.
----------------------------------

 原始邮件

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, everyone:
>
> I have a blueprint of freezer to support s3 storage driver [1], so I need to
> add boto3 to the requirements [2].
>
> Why use boto3 but not boto?
>
> Boto3 [3] is the next version of Boto, is now stable and recommended for
> general use. It can be used side-by-side with Boto in the same project, so
> it is easy to start using Boto3 in your existing projects as well as new
> projects. Going forward, API updates and all new feature work will be
> focused on Boto3.
>

> Problem
>
> Boto3 requires botocore, jmespath and s3transfer. botocore and jmespath are
> already used by boto, this is because boto is used by ec2-api (and
> heat-cfntools, rally and swift3).  After adding Boto3 to requirements, we
> will have old and new libraries ATM.
>

> My suggenstion
>
> How about using boto3 instead of boto? This will require us to do some
> migration about boto to boto3.
>

> Anyone has ideas or suggesstions? Thank you very much!
>

> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471295
>
> [2]https://review.openstack.org/#/c/473067
>
> [3]https://github.com/boto/boto3
>

> Pengju Jiao
> mail: [hidden email]

Re: [requirements][ec2-api] How about using boto3 instead of boto in requirements

Tony Breeds
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 09:33:02PM +0800, jiaopengju wrote:

> Hi Dims,
> I got response from core member of ec2-api. What do you think about it?
>

> ----------------------------------
> Hi,
>

> I don't treat adding new library as a problem.
>

> - I see that you don't remove boto - so your change doesn't affect ec2-api code.
Part of the role of the requirements team is to ensure that we don't end
up with several libraries that have significant overlap in
functionality.  Clearly boto and boto3 fall squarely in that camp.

What the requirements team needs is some assurance that switching to
boto3 is something that the ec2-api team would be able to do.  Running
on boto which has been deprecated in favor of boto3 make sense from a
lot of levels.  We're far enough into the Queens cycle that I doubt it'd
happen this cycle :(

Yours Tony.

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 05:15:59PM +1000, Tony Breeds wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 09:33:02PM +0800, jiaopengju wrote:
> > Hi Dims,
> > I got response from core member of ec2-api. What do you think about it?
> >

> > ----------------------------------
> > Hi,
> >

> > I don't treat adding new library as a problem.
> >

> > - I see that you don't remove boto - so your change doesn't affect ec2-api code.
>
> Part of the role of the requirements team is to ensure that we don't end
> up with several libraries that have significant overlap in
> functionality.  Clearly boto and boto3 fall squarely in that camp.
>
> What the requirements team needs is some assurance that switching to
> boto3 is something that the ec2-api team would be able to do.  Running
> on boto which has been deprecated in favor of boto3 make sense from a
> lot of levels.  We're far enough into the Queens cycle that I doubt it'd
> happen this cycle :(
s/Queens/Pike/  I'm getting my cycles mixed up that's not a good sign.

Yours Tony.

Re: [requirements][ec2-api] How about using boto3 instead of boto in requirements

Andrey Pavlov

We (ec2-api team) now in the middle of some investigations that should lead us to either to remove boto from the code or to change it to botocore as we decided previously.
We'll done with it to the middle of July.

Regards,
Andrey Pavlov.