StarlingX gap analysis to converge with OpenStack master

StarlingX gap analysis to converge with OpenStack master

MIguel Lavalle
Hi Stackers,

One of the key goals of StarlingX during the current cycle is to converge with the OpenStack projects master branches. In order to accomplish this goal, the Technical Steering Committee put together a gap analysis that shows the specs and patches that need to merge in the different OpenStack projects by the end of Stein. The attached PDF document shows this analysis. Although other projects are involved, most of the work has to be done in Nova, Neutron and Horizon. Hopefully all the involved projects will help StarlingX achieve this important goal.

It has to be noted that work is still on-going to refine this gap analysis, so there might be some updates to it in the near future.

Best regards

Miguel

stx_openstack_gaps.pdf (203K) Download Attachment

Re: StarlingX gap analysis to converge with OpenStack master

Mohammed Naser
Thanks for doing this in the open and working with the upstream teams to reduce divergence!

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 1:17 PM Miguel Lavalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stackers,

One of the key goals of StarlingX during the current cycle is to converge with the OpenStack projects master branches. In order to accomplish this goal, the Technical Steering Committee put together a gap analysis that shows the specs and patches that need to merge in the different OpenStack projects by the end of Stein. The attached PDF document shows this analysis. Although other projects are involved, most of the work has to be done in Nova, Neutron and Horizon. Hopefully all the involved projects will help StarlingX achieve this important goal.

It has to be noted that work is still on-going to refine this gap analysis, so there might be some updates to it in the near future.

Best regards

Miguel

Mohammed Naser — vexxhost

Re: StarlingX gap analysis to converge with OpenStack master

melanie witt-3
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 12:11:50 -0600, Miguel Lavalle wrote:

> One of the key goals of StarlingX during the current cycle is to
> converge with the OpenStack projects master branches. In order to
> accomplish this goal, the Technical Steering Committee put together a
> gap analysis that shows the specs and patches that need to merge in the
> different OpenStack projects by the end of Stein. The attached PDF
> document shows this analysis. Although other projects are involved, most
> of the work has to be done in Nova, Neutron and Horizon. Hopefully all
> the involved projects will help StarlingX achieve this important goal.
>
> It has to be noted that work is still on-going to refine this gap
> analysis, so there might be some updates to it in the near future.

Thanks for sending this out. I'm going to reply about what I know of the
status of nova-related planned upstream features.

On NUMA-aware live migration, it was identified as the top priority
issue in the NFV/HPC pain points forum session [1]. The spec has been
approved before in the past for the Rocky cycle, so it's a matter of
re-proposing it for re-approval in Stein. We need to confirm with artom
and/or stephenfin whether one of them can pick it up this cycle.

I don't know as much about the shared/dedicated vCPUs on a single host
or the shared vCPU extension, but the cited spec [2] has one +2 already.
If we can find a second approver, we can work on this too in Stein.

The vTPM support spec was merged about two weeks ago and we are awaiting
implementation patches from cfriesen.

The HPET support spec was merged about two weeks ago and the
implementation patch is under active review in a runway with one +2 now.

For vCPU model, I'm not aware of any new proposed spec for Stein from
the STX community as of today. Let us know if/when the spec is proposed.

For disk performance fixes, the specless blueprint patch is currently
under active review in a runway.

The extra spec validation spec [3] is under active review now.

For the bits that will be addressed using upstream features that are
already available, I assume the STX community will take care of this.
Please reach out to us in #openstack-nova or on the ML if there are
questions/issues.

For the bugs, again feel free to reach out to us for reviews/help.

Cheers,
-melanie

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BER-nfv-hpc-pain-points
[2] https://review.openstack.org/555081
[3] https://review.openstack.org/618542

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 21:23:51 +0100, Melanie Witt wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 12:11:50 -0600, Miguel Lavalle wrote:
>> One of the key goals of StarlingX during the current cycle is to
>> converge with the OpenStack projects master branches. In order to
>> accomplish this goal, the Technical Steering Committee put together a
>> gap analysis that shows the specs and patches that need to merge in the
>> different OpenStack projects by the end of Stein. The attached PDF
>> document shows this analysis. Although other projects are involved, most
>> of the work has to be done in Nova, Neutron and Horizon. Hopefully all
>> the involved projects will help StarlingX achieve this important goal.
>>
>> It has to be noted that work is still on-going to refine this gap
>> analysis, so there might be some updates to it in the near future.
>
> Thanks for sending this out. I'm going to reply about what I know of the
> status of nova-related planned upstream features.
>
> On NUMA-aware live migration, it was identified as the top priority
> issue in the NFV/HPC pain points forum session [1]. The spec has been
> approved before in the past for the Rocky cycle, so it's a matter of
> re-proposing it for re-approval in Stein. We need to confirm with artom
> and/or stephenfin whether one of them can pick it up this cycle.

Turns out this spec has already been re-proposed for Stein as of Sep 4:

https://review.openstack.org/599587

and is under active review now. Apologies for missing this in my
previous reply.

> I don't know as much about the shared/dedicated vCPUs on a single host
> or the shared vCPU extension, but the cited spec [2] has one +2 already.
> If we can find a second approver, we can work on this too in Stein.
>
> The vTPM support spec was merged about two weeks ago and we are awaiting
> implementation patches from cfriesen.
>
> The HPET support spec was merged about two weeks ago and the
> implementation patch is under active review in a runway with one +2 now.
>
> For vCPU model, I'm not aware of any new proposed spec for Stein from
> the STX community as of today. Let us know if/when the spec is proposed.
>
> For disk performance fixes, the specless blueprint patch is currently
> under active review in a runway.
>
> The extra spec validation spec [3] is under active review now.
>
> For the bits that will be addressed using upstream features that are
> already available, I assume the STX community will take care of this.
> Please reach out to us in #openstack-nova or on the ML if there are
> questions/issues.
>
> For the bugs, again feel free to reach out to us for reviews/help.
>
> Cheers,
> -melanie
>
> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BER-nfv-hpc-pain-points
> [2] https://review.openstack.org/555081
> [3] https://review.openstack.org/618542

Re: StarlingX gap analysis to converge with OpenStack master

Xu, Chenjie

Hi Miguel,

There is another RFE “Add l2pop support for floating IP resources” proposed to Launchpad. This RFE also comes from StarlingX and the link is below:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1803494

Could you please help review this RFE? I think this RFE can be added to the gap analysis. What’s more, there is a bug and a RFE relating to l2pop and neutron-dynamic-routing is being written and is expected to be released next week.

Best Regards,

Xu, Chenjie

Re: StarlingX gap analysis to converge with OpenStack master

Sean Mooney
hi
just following up form yesterday.
i just finished testing the pci numa policy feature
and i can confirm that the prefer policy which allow use of non
local pci devices does not work.

the test case was relitively simple
1 host with 2 numa nodes
1 pci device attach to numa node 0
and vcpu pin set configured to allow only numa node 1
in this case booting a vm with a passthrough alias and a passthrough alias fails.

[stack@cloud-3 devstack]$ openstack flavor show 42
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Field                      | Value                                               |
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| OS-FLV-DISABLED:disabled   | False                                               |
| OS-FLV-EXT-DATA:ephemeral  | 0                                                   |
| access_project_ids         | None                                                |
| disk                       | 0                                                   |
| id                         | 42                                                  |
| name                       | m1.nano                                             |
| os-flavor-access:is_public | True                                                |
| properties                 | hw:numa_nodes='1', pci_passthrough:alias='nic-pf:1' |
| ram                        | 64                                                  |
| rxtx_factor                | 1.0                                                 |
| swap                       |                                                     |
| vcpus                      | 1                                                   |

passthrough_whitelist = { "address": "0000:01:00.1" }
alias = { "vendor_id":"8086", "product_id":"10c9", "device_type":"type-PF", "name":"nic-pf", "numa_policy": "preferred"}

removeing the  hw:numa_nodes='1' extra spec allow the vm to boot as it nolonger has a numa topology.

the vm passes scheduling in both casess but when the vm has a virtual numa toplogy of 1 node
we fail in the resocue tracker on the compute node when claiming resouces for the instance.

i will submit a bug for this and repose the spec next week to track closing this gap.