What's happening with the foundation formation? (was: OpenStack Mission & Goals)

What's happening with the foundation formation? (was: OpenStack Mission & Goals)

Ryan Lane
> I think it was mostly a matter of people waiting for those types of answers
> (what can we do? what is allowed? who is going to tell us what is
> kosher?)... and sometimes, in these situations, it's best for the people who
> are interested to forge ahead and start exploring/testing the boundaries
> without asking someone to draw those lines for them. Asking for forgiveness
> rather than begging for permission, etc. :)
>
> And as Rick said, without any pressure from the community, the priority
> level drops dramatically. If people really want it, noise gets attention,
> generally.

Well, I don't mind adding into the noise, then.

My level of participation in OpenStack is slightly crippled by
OpenStack being owned by a private organization. Anything
promotion-wise I do can be construed as promoting a private
organization, and that's something I'm not allowed to do. This
includes actively recruiting members of my movement to work on
OpenStack related issues that affect us.

I was definitely hoping to see more activity by this point in time. At
the last summit there was discussion about having a lot of the initial
work done that was necessary to begin this process within a month
after the summit. Can we get a time frame as to when this work might
be done? There isn't really much the community can do without the
first steps being taken.

At minimum, can we get an update on the progress of the foundation formation?

- Ryan

What's happening with the foundation formation? (was: OpenStack Mission & Goals)

Joshua McKenty
I brought this up with Mark Collier this morning, and he's agreed to provide an update this week. I believe most of the activity within Rackspace has been trying to address the legal issues around making this a truly international organization, and not much has been happening on charter, etc.

--
Joshua McKenty, CEO
Piston Cloud Computing, Inc.

"Oh, Westley, we'll never survive!"
"Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."