[all] 2019 summit during May holidays?

Dmitry Tantsur
Hi all,

Not sure how official the information about the next summit is, but it's on the
web site [1], so I guess worth asking..

Are we planning for the summit to overlap with the May holidays? The 1st of May
is a holiday in big part of the world. We ask people to skip it in addition to
3+ weekend days they'll have to spend working and traveling.

To make it worse, 1-3 May are holidays in Russia this time. To make it even
worse than worse, the week of 29th is the Golden Week in Japan [2]. Was it
considered? Is it possible to move the days to less conflicting time (mid-May
maybe)?

Dmitry

[1] https://www.openstack.org/summit/denver-2019/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Week_(Japan)

Re: [all] 2019 summit during May holidays?

Julia Kreger
*removes all of the hats*

*removes years of dust from unrelated event planning hat, and puts it on for a moment*

In my experience, events of any nature where convention venue space is involved, are essentially set in stone before being publicly advertised as contracts are put in place for hotel room booking blocks as well as the convention venue space. These spaces are also typically in a relatively high demand limiting the access and available times to schedule. Often venues also give preference (and sometimes even better group discounts) to repeat events as they are typically a known entity and will have somewhat known needs so the venue and hotel(s) can staff appropriately.

tl;dr, I personally wouldn't expect any changes to be possible at this point.

*removes event planning hat of past life, puts personal scheduling hat on*

I imagine that as a community, it is near impossible to schedule something avoiding holidays for everyone in the community.

I personally have lost count of the number of holidays and special days that I've spent on business trips over the past four years. While I may be an out-lier in my feelings on this subject, I'm not upset, annoyed, or even bitter about lost times. This community is part of my family.

-Julia

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 8:19 AM Dmitry Tantsur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Not sure how official the information about the next summit is, but it's on the
web site [1], so I guess worth asking..

Are we planning for the summit to overlap with the May holidays? The 1st of May
is a holiday in big part of the world. We ask people to skip it in addition to
3+ weekend days they'll have to spend working and traveling.

To make it worse, 1-3 May are holidays in Russia this time. To make it even
worse than worse, the week of 29th is the Golden Week in Japan [2]. Was it
considered? Is it possible to move the days to less conflicting time (mid-May
maybe)?

Dmitry

[1] https://www.openstack.org/summit/denver-2019/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Week_(Japan)

Re: [all] 2019 summit during May holidays?

Jeremy Stanley
On 2018-11-05 11:06:14 -0800 (-0800), Julia Kreger wrote:
[...]
> I imagine that as a community, it is near impossible to schedule
> something avoiding holidays for everyone in the community.
[...]

Scheduling events that time of year is particularly challenging
anyway because of the proximity of Ramadan, Passover and
Easter/Lent. (We've already conflicted with Passover at least once
in the past, if memory serves.) So yes, any random week you pick is
already likely to hit a major public or religious holiday for
some part of the World, and then you also have to factor in
availability of venues and other logistics.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: [all] 2019 summit during May holidays?

Jay S Bryant-2

On 11/5/2018 1:06 PM, Julia Kreger wrote:
[...]

Agreed.
-Julia

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 8:19 AM Dmitry Tantsur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Not sure how official the information about the next summit is, but it's on the
web site [1], so I guess worth asking..

Are we planning for the summit to overlap with the May holidays? The 1st of May
is a holiday in big part of the world. We ask people to skip it in addition to
3+ weekend days they'll have to spend working and traveling.

To make it worse, 1-3 May are holidays in Russia this time. To make it even
worse than worse, the week of 29th is the Golden Week in Japan [2]. Was it
considered? Is it possible to move the days to less conflicting time (mid-May
maybe)?

Someone else had raised the fact that this also appears to overlap with Pycon and wondered if the date could be changed.  I told them the same thing.  Once these things are announced they are, more or less, an immovable object.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018, 20:07 Julia Kreger <[hidden email] wrote:
[...]

I'm not taking about everyone. And I'm mostly fine with my holiday, but the conflicts with Russia and Japan seem huge. This certainly does not help our effort to engage people outside of NA/EU.

Quick googling suggests that the week of May 13th would have much fewer conflicts.

I personally have lost count of the number of holidays and special days that I've spent on business trips over the past four years. While I may be an out-lier in my feelings on this subject, I'm not upset, annoyed, or even bitter about lost times. This community is part of my family.

Sure :)

But outside of our small nice circle there is a huge world of people who may not share our feeling and the level of commitment to openstack. These occasional contributors we talked about when discussing the cycle length. I don't think asking them to abandon 3-5 days of holidays is a productive way to engage them.

And again, as much as I love meeting you all, I think we're outgrowing the format of these meetings..

Dmitry

[...]

Ghanshyam Mann-3
 ---- On Tue, 06 Nov 2018 05:50:03 +0900 Dmitry Tantsur <[hidden email]> wrote ----

 > On Mon, Nov 5, 2018, 20:07 Julia Kreger <[hidden email] wrote:
 > *removes all of the hats*
 > *removes years of dust from unrelated event planning hat, and puts it on for a moment*
 >
 > In my experience, events of any nature where convention venue space is involved, are essentially set in stone before being publicly advertised as contracts are put in place for hotel room booking blocks as well as the convention venue space. These spaces are also typically in a relatively high demand limiting the access and available times to schedule. Often venues also give preference (and sometimes even better group discounts) to repeat events as they are typically a known entity and will have somewhat known needs so the venue and hotel(s) can staff appropriately.
 >
 > tl;dr, I personally wouldn't expect any changes to be possible at this point.
 >
 > *removes event planning hat of past life, puts personal scheduling hat on*
 > I imagine that as a community, it is near impossible to schedule something avoiding holidays for everyone in the community.
 >
 > I'm not taking about everyone. And I'm mostly fine with my holiday, but the conflicts with Russia and Japan seem huge. This certainly does not help our effort to engage people outside of NA/EU.
 > Quick googling suggests that the week of May 13th would have much fewer conflicts.
 >
 > I personally have lost count of the number of holidays and special days that I've spent on business trips over the past four years. While I may be an out-lier in my feelings on this subject, I'm not upset, annoyed, or even bitter about lost times. This community is part of my family.
 >
 > Sure :)
 > But outside of our small nice circle there is a huge world of people who may not share our feeling and the level of commitment to openstack. These occasional contributors we talked about when discussing the cycle length. I don't think asking them to abandon 3-5 days of holidays is a productive way to engage them.
 > And again, as much as I love meeting you all, I think we're outgrowing the format of these meetings..
 > Dmitry

Yeah, in case of Japan it is full week holiday starting from April 29th. I remember most of the May summits did not conflict with Golden week but this is. I am not sure if any solution to this now but we should consider such things in future.

-gmann

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 12:50 PM Dmitry Tantsur <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

May is also a fairly popular month for weddings... and I've seen wedding parties book out whole floors of hotel rooms. This complicates room block negotiations sadly.

I personally have lost count of the number of holidays and special days that I've spent on business trips over the past four years. While I may be an out-lier in my feelings on this subject, I'm not upset, annoyed, or even bitter about lost times. This community is part of my family.

Sure :)

But outside of our small nice circle there is a huge world of people who may not share our feeling and the level of commitment to openstack. These occasional contributors we talked about when discussing the cycle length. I don't think asking them to abandon 3-5 days of holidays is a productive way to engage them.

And again, as much as I love meeting you all, I think we're outgrowing the format of these meetings..

Dmitry

It is funny you mention this because I was wondering something similar, but possibly for different reasons. I get there needs to be a marketing aspect to aid in sales and visibility. We need to also work on our local visibilities and broadcast out what individual projects and the community is doing on a smaller, more local scale... but I feel very conflicted with air travel and the state of atmospheric carbon levels.

I wouldn't call my perception outgrowing, but perhaps growing more ecologically sensitive.