[all] Call for check: is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?

[all] Call for check: is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?

Akihiro MOTOKI-2
Hi all,

Is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?
If you use pylint in your pep8 job, it is worth checked.

Our current version of pylint is 1.4.5 but it is not safe in python 3.5.
The global-requirements update was merged once [1],
However, some projects (at least neutron) are not ready for pylint
1.7.1 and it was reverted [2].
it is reasonable to give individual projects time to cope with pylint 1.7.1.

I believe bumping pylint version to 1.7.1 (or later) is the right
direction in long term.
I would suggest to make your project ready for pylint 1.7.1 soon (two
weeks or some?)
You can disable new rules in pylint 1.7.1 temporarily and clean up
your code later
as neutron does [3]. As far as I checked, most rules are reasonable
and worth enabled.

Thanks,
Akihiro Motoki

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/470800/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471756/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471763/

Re: [all] Call for check: is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?

Amrith Kumar-2
​Is there a driving reason why this has to be done in the Pike cycle? The requirements freeze is coincident with Pike-3 and your two week deadline puts it pretty close to that date so I'm going to assume that you will have to make this change before p3.

Trove is another of the projects that went down in flames with the new pylint and I'm wondering what benefit this has for projects in general. The notion of accumulating more technical debt (enable pylint 1.7.1 and disable the new tests, cleanup code later) strikes me as less than ideal.

Thanks,

-amrith​

-amrith

--
Amrith Kumar
Phone: +1-978-563-9590

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Akihiro Motoki <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

Sean Dague-2
On 06/08/2017 02:53 PM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?
> If you use pylint in your pep8 job, it is worth checked.
>
> Our current version of pylint is 1.4.5 but it is not safe in python 3.5.
> The global-requirements update was merged once [1],
> However, some projects (at least neutron) are not ready for pylint
> 1.7.1 and it was reverted [2].
> it is reasonable to give individual projects time to cope with pylint 1.7.1.
>
> I believe bumping pylint version to 1.7.1 (or later) is the right
> direction in long term.
> I would suggest to make your project ready for pylint 1.7.1 soon (two
> weeks or some?)
> You can disable new rules in pylint 1.7.1 temporarily and clean up
> your code later
> as neutron does [3]. As far as I checked, most rules are reasonable
> and worth enabled.
>
> Thanks,
> Akihiro Motoki

Please only make changes like this in the first milestone of the cycle.
Lint requirements changes are distracting, and definitely shouldn't be
happening during the final milestone.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net

Re: [all] Call for check: is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?

Amrith Kumar-2
Thanks, Sean.

I will heartily second that request/proposal.

-amrith

-amrith

--
Amrith Kumar
Phone: +1-978-563-9590

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Sean Dague <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/08/2017 02:53 PM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?
> If you use pylint in your pep8 job, it is worth checked.
>
> Our current version of pylint is 1.4.5 but it is not safe in python 3.5.
> The global-requirements update was merged once [1],
> However, some projects (at least neutron) are not ready for pylint
> 1.7.1 and it was reverted [2].
> it is reasonable to give individual projects time to cope with pylint 1.7.1.
>
> I believe bumping pylint version to 1.7.1 (or later) is the right
> direction in long term.
> I would suggest to make your project ready for pylint 1.7.1 soon (two
> weeks or some?)
> You can disable new rules in pylint 1.7.1 temporarily and clean up
> your code later
> as neutron does [3]. As far as I checked, most rules are reasonable
> and worth enabled.
>
> Thanks,
> Akihiro Motoki

Please only make changes like this in the first milestone of the cycle.
Lint requirements changes are distracting, and definitely shouldn't be
happening during the final milestone.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net

Re: [all] Call for check: is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?

Doug Hellmann-2
Excerpts from Akihiro Motoki's message of 2017-06-09 03:53:34 +0900:

> Hi all,
>
> Is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?
> If you use pylint in your pep8 job, it is worth checked.
>
> Our current version of pylint is 1.4.5 but it is not safe in python 3.5.
> The global-requirements update was merged once [1],
> However, some projects (at least neutron) are not ready for pylint
> 1.7.1 and it was reverted [2].
> it is reasonable to give individual projects time to cope with pylint 1.7.1.
>
> I believe bumping pylint version to 1.7.1 (or later) is the right
> direction in long term.
> I would suggest to make your project ready for pylint 1.7.1 soon (two
> weeks or some?)
> You can disable new rules in pylint 1.7.1 temporarily and clean up
> your code later
> as neutron does [3]. As far as I checked, most rules are reasonable
> and worth enabled.
>
> Thanks,
> Akihiro Motoki

I thought we had linters in a list that didn't require the versions
to be synced across projects, to allow projects to update at their
own pace. Did we undo that work?

Doug

I guess this mail thread and the questions asked here fell on deaf ears because I see https://review.openstack.org/#/c/472891/1 marching its way to merging.

--
Amrith Kumar
[hidden email]

Davanum Srinivas
Amrith,

"fell on deaf ears" Seriously?

It's a double revert and did not have the link to the email thread.
hence my +2. It still needed another +2 and +W before it would have
been on its way to merging. So the -1's would have stopped that from
another requirements person from doing that.

-- Dims