[all][api] POST /api-sig/news

Ed Leafe-2
Greetings OpenStack community,

A good meeting this week [5], with the discussion centered mostly on a spec for an API-schema guide [8]. The spec itself isn't quite fleshed out enough, so it wasn't entirely clear what problem this would be adressing. The spec's author, Gilles, will add additional information to the spec and we will re-review.

That brought up another issue: the current meeting time for the API-SIG is 1600UTC, which is not very convenient for APAC contributors. Gilles is in Australia, and so it was the middle of the night for him! As one of the goals for the API-SIG is to expand our audience and membership, edleafe committed to seeing if there is an available meeting slot at 2200UTC, which would be convenient for APAC, and still early enough for US people to attend. If an APAC-friendly meeting time would be good for you, please keep an eye out on the mailing list for an announcement if we are able to set that up, and then please attend and participate!

* The list of bugs [6] indicates several missing or incomplete guidelines.
* The existing guidelines [2] always need refreshing to account for changes over time. If you find something that's not quite right, submit a patch [7] to fix it.
* Have you done something for which you think guidance would have made things easier but couldn't find any? Submit a patch and help others [7].

# Newly Published Guidelines

None this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None this week

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and service discovery
  Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
  https://review.openstack.org/444892

* WIP: Add API-schema guide (still being defined)
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524467/

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API SIG about APIs that you are developing or changing, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API SIG mission and the work we do, see our wiki page [4] and guidelines [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!

# References

[2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/api-wg,n,z
[4] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/API_SIG
[5] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_sig/2017/api_sig.2017-12-07-16.01.log.html
[6] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-api-wg
[7] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/api-wg
[8] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524467/

Meeting Agenda
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/API-SIG#Agenda
Past Meeting Records
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_sig/
Open Bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-api-wg

-- Ed Leafe

[api] APAC-friendly API-SIG meeting times

Ed Leafe-2
On Dec 7, 2017, at 11:22 AM, Ed Leafe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That brought up another issue: the current meeting time for the API-SIG is 1600UTC, which is not very convenient for APAC contributors. Gilles is in Australia, and so it was the middle of the night for him! As one of the goals for the API-SIG is to expand our audience and membership, edleafe committed to seeing if there is an available meeting slot at 2200UTC, which would be convenient for APAC, and still early enough for US people to attend. If an APAC-friendly meeting time would be good for you, please keep an eye out on the mailing list for an announcement if we are able to set that up, and then please attend and participate!

Looking at the current meeting schedule, there are openings at 2200UTC  on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings in APAC (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons in the US).

I’ve set up a doodle so that people can record their preferences:

https://doodle.com/poll/bec9gfff38zvh3ud

If you’re interested in attending API-SIG meetings, please fill out the form at that URL with your preferences. I’ll summarize the results at the next API-SIG meeting.

-- Ed Leafe

Re: [api] APAC-friendly API-SIG meeting times

Ed Leafe-2
Re-sending this in the hope of getting more responses. If you’re in the APAC region and interested in contributing to our discussions, please indicate your preferences on the link below.

>> That brought up another issue: the current meeting time for the API-SIG is 1600UTC, which is not very convenient for APAC contributors. Gilles is in Australia, and so it was the middle of the night for him! As one of the goals for the API-SIG is to expand our audience and membership, edleafe committed to seeing if there is an available meeting slot at 2200UTC, which would be convenient for APAC, and still early enough for US people to attend. If an APAC-friendly meeting time would be good for you, please keep an eye out on the mailing list for an announcement if we are able to set that up, and then please attend and participate!
>
> Looking at the current meeting schedule, there are openings at 2200UTC  on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings in APAC (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons in the US).
>
> I’ve set up a doodle so that people can record their preferences:
>
> https://doodle.com/poll/bec9gfff38zvh3ud
>
> If you’re interested in attending API-SIG meetings, please fill out the form at that URL with your preferences. I’ll summarize the results at the next API-SIG meeting.
>

> -- Ed Leafe

-- Ed Leafe

Re: [api] APAC-friendly API-SIG meeting times

Gilles Dubreuil-2
Obviously, I'm interested and I voted.

Thanks,
Gilles

On 13/12/17 02:22, Ed Leafe wrote:

> Re-sending this in the hope of getting more responses. If you’re in the APAC region and interested in contributing to our discussions, please indicate your preferences on the link below.
>
>>> That brought up another issue: the current meeting time for the API-SIG is 1600UTC, which is not very convenient for APAC contributors. Gilles is in Australia, and so it was the middle of the night for him! As one of the goals for the API-SIG is to expand our audience and membership, edleafe committed to seeing if there is an available meeting slot at 2200UTC, which would be convenient for APAC, and still early enough for US people to attend. If an APAC-friendly meeting time would be good for you, please keep an eye out on the mailing list for an announcement if we are able to set that up, and then please attend and participate!
>> Looking at the current meeting schedule, there are openings at 2200UTC  on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings in APAC (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons in the US).
>>
>> I’ve set up a doodle so that people can record their preferences:
>>
>> https://doodle.com/poll/bec9gfff38zvh3ud
>>
>> If you’re interested in attending API-SIG meetings, please fill out the form at that URL with your preferences. I’ll summarize the results at the next API-SIG meeting.
>>

>> -- Ed Leafe

> -- Ed Leafe

Gilles Dubreuil
Senior Software Engineer, Openstack DFG Integration
Mobile: +61 400 894 219
Email: [hidden email]
GitHub/IRC: gildub

Re: [api] APAC-friendly API-SIG meeting times

GHANSHYAM MANN
Thanks edleafe,

I am interested to attend but it is little early for me(i am in
JST(UTC +9)), any chance we can make it to 23:00 UTC or 0:00 UTC ?

-gmann

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 12:22 AM, Ed Leafe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Re-sending this in the hope of getting more responses. If you’re in the APAC region and interested in contributing to our discussions, please indicate your preferences on the link below.
>
>>> That brought up another issue: the current meeting time for the API-SIG is 1600UTC, which is not very convenient for APAC contributors. Gilles is in Australia, and so it was the middle of the night for him! As one of the goals for the API-SIG is to expand our audience and membership, edleafe committed to seeing if there is an available meeting slot at 2200UTC, which would be convenient for APAC, and still early enough for US people to attend. If an APAC-friendly meeting time would be good for you, please keep an eye out on the mailing list for an announcement if we are able to set that up, and then please attend and participate!
>>
>> Looking at the current meeting schedule, there are openings at 2200UTC  on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings in APAC (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons in the US).
>>
>> I’ve set up a doodle so that people can record their preferences:
>>
>> https://doodle.com/poll/bec9gfff38zvh3ud
>>
>> If you’re interested in attending API-SIG meetings, please fill out the form at that URL with your preferences. I’ll summarize the results at the next API-SIG meeting.
>>

>> -- Ed Leafe

> -- Ed Leafe

Re: [api] APAC-friendly API-SIG meeting times

Gilles Dubreuil-2

Any chance we can progress on this one?

I believe there are not enough participants to split the API SIG meeting
in 2, and also more likely because of the same lack of people across the
2 it could make it pretty inefficient. Therefore I think changing the
main meeting time to another might be better but I could be wrong.

Anyway in all cases I can't make progress with a meeting in the middle
of the night for me so I would appreciate if we could re-activate this
discussion.

On Mar 15, 2018, at 10:31 PM, Gilles Dubreuil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any chance we can progress on this one?
>
> I believe there are not enough participants to split the API SIG meeting in 2, and also more likely because of the same lack of people across the 2 it could make it pretty inefficient. Therefore I think changing the main meeting time to another might be better but I could be wrong.
>
> Anyway in all cases I can't make progress with a meeting in the middle of the night for me so I would appreciate if we could re-activate this discussion.

What range of times would work for you?

On 17/03/18 02:53, Ed Leafe wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2018, at 10:31 PM, Gilles Dubreuil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Any chance we can progress on this one?
>>
>> I believe there are not enough participants to split the API SIG meeting in 2, and also more likely because of the same lack of people across the 2 it could make it pretty inefficient. Therefore I think changing the main meeting time to another might be better but I could be wrong.
>>
>> Anyway in all cases I can't make progress with a meeting in the middle of the night for me so I would appreciate if we could re-activate this discussion.
> What range of times would work for you?
>
> -- Ed Leafe

I can do very early (like 6am), or alternatively late (10pm) if needed
to avoid others to be in the red zone:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=31&month=3&year=2018&p1=240&p2=195&p3=137&iv=0

Of course assuming we're talking about spreading across the globe for a
single meeting, otherwise that would be easier as I'm quite flex.