how do I revert a volume snapshot?

Ratliff, John

I am trying to create an instance that I can revert to a snapshot. I created the snapshot with openstack volume snapshot create, but I don’t see a way to revert the instance to that image.

What can I do to make use of the snapshot?

Thanks.

--John Ratliff

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [External] Re: how do I revert a volume snapshot?

Ratliff, John

Thanks, but that feels like a really complicated process to rollback. It seems I would need to delete my old machine and volume, make a volume from the snapshot, create a new one with the same port, a new volume and specify the cloud-init script.

Is that really the best way to revert to a snapshot? I don’t have a lot of experience with openstack, and the documentation and scope is quite large, but I’ve used vmware, libvirt with qemu, hyper-v, and virtualbox, and they all had a fairly simple one-step process to revert a snapshot. I feel like I’m missing something easy.

Thanks.

--John

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [External] Re: how do I revert a volume snapshot?

Amy Marrich-2
John,

Sorry I misread what you were trying to do. I thought you wanted to create a new instance with the snapshot not revert to it. I've included the link for how to revert volumes.

I'm also forwarding this email to the OpenStack Discuss list which is the appropriate list for dev and ops issues.

Thanks,

Amy (spotz)