[infra][deb-packaging] Stop using track-upstream for deb projects

[infra][deb-packaging] Stop using track-upstream for deb projects

Paul Belanger-2
Greetings,

I'd like to propose we stop using track-upstream for project-config on
deb-packaging projects. It seems there is no active development on these
projects currently and by using track-upstream we currently wasting both CI
resources and HDD space keeping their projects in sync with there upstream
openstack projects.

Long term, we don't actually want to support the behavior. I propose we stop
doing this today, and if somebody steps up to continue the effort on packaging
our release we then progress forward with out the need of track-upstream.

Effectively, track-upstream duplicates the size of a projects git repo. For
example, if deb-nova is setup to track-upstream of nova, we copy all commits and
import them into deb-nova. This puts unneeded pressure on our infrastructure
moving forward, the git overlay option for gbp is likely the solution we could
use.

-- Paul

Re: [infra][deb-packaging] Stop using track-upstream for deb projects

Andreas Jaeger
On 2017-06-13 15:01, Paul Belanger wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to propose we stop using track-upstream for project-config on
> deb-packaging projects. It seems there is no active development on these
> projects currently and by using track-upstream we currently wasting both CI
> resources and HDD space keeping their projects in sync with there upstream
> openstack projects.
>
> Long term, we don't actually want to support the behavior. I propose we stop
> doing this today, and if somebody steps up to continue the effort on packaging
> our release we then progress forward with out the need of track-upstream.
>
> Effectively, track-upstream duplicates the size of a projects git repo. For
> example, if deb-nova is setup to track-upstream of nova, we copy all commits and
> import them into deb-nova. This puts unneeded pressure on our infrastructure
> moving forward, the git overlay option for gbp is likely the solution we could
> use.

Indeed ;(

Do you have a patch ready or was there some alternative proposal?

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

On 2017-06-18 11:06, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> On 2017-06-13 15:01, Paul Belanger wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'd like to propose we stop using track-upstream for project-config on
>> deb-packaging projects. It seems there is no active development on these
>> projects currently and by using track-upstream we currently wasting both CI
>> resources and HDD space keeping their projects in sync with there upstream
>> openstack projects.
>>
>> Long term, we don't actually want to support the behavior. I propose we stop
>> doing this today, and if somebody steps up to continue the effort on packaging
>> our release we then progress forward with out the need of track-upstream.
>>
>> Effectively, track-upstream duplicates the size of a projects git repo. For
>> example, if deb-nova is setup to track-upstream of nova, we copy all commits and
>> import them into deb-nova. This puts unneeded pressure on our infrastructure
>> moving forward, the git overlay option for gbp is likely the solution we could
>> use.
>
> Indeed ;(
>
> Do you have a patch ready or was there some alternative proposal?

to close the loop:

Patch is up now:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/485362/

Andreas