[ironic] support for various glance image reference formats - do we need them all?

[ironic] support for various glance image reference formats - do we need them all?

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Hi all,

currently our GlanceImageService seems to support several ways of defining a reference to glance image:

1) simple image UUID [0]
2) image UUID prefixed with 'glance://' protocol [1] (well, actually anything starting with 'glance://' and ending with '/<uuid>')
3) full REST path to the image (as in http://<glance-api>/v2/images/<image-uuid>), also used to extract the glance API address [2]

Support for #3 must surely be removed, as we are moving to API endpoint discovery from keystone catalog.
Besides I am pretty sure this code path can not actually be reached currently, as the 'is_glance_image' will ignore such image refs and return False for those [3], and 'get_image_service' would also not return the GlanceImageService instance for such image refs [4].
Hence the question - if it is unusable anyway now, should we execute the standard deprecation process when removing support for it or just remove right away?

As for the #1 and #2 I do not see any big difference between those, and proposed deprecating and eventually removing support for #2 ('glance://' scheme) as part of [5]. Two people in review already raised a concern about removing such support.

Thus I'd like to ask a broader audience - do we need support for glance image references in 'glance://*<UUID>' form? Is it actually used somewhere? What are the benefits of having it besides simple UUID?

Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Senior Software Engineer
Mirantis Inc

Re: [ironic] support for various glance image reference formats - do we need them all?

Dmitry Tantsur
Hi!

Thanks for raising this.

On 08/07/2017 02:47 PM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> currently our GlanceImageService seems to support several ways of defining a
> reference to glance image:
>
> 1) simple image UUID [0]
> 2) image UUID prefixed with 'glance://' protocol [1] (well, actually anything
> starting with 'glance://' and ending with '/<uuid>')
> 3) full REST path to the image (as in
> http://<glance-api>/v2/images/<image-uuid>), also used to extract the glance API
> address [2]
>
> Support for #3 must surely be removed, as we are moving to API endpoint
> discovery from keystone catalog.
> Besides I am pretty sure this code path can not actually be reached currently,
> as the 'is_glance_image' will ignore such image refs and return False for those
> [3], and 'get_image_service' would also not return the GlanceImageService
> instance for such image refs [4].
> Hence the question - if it is unusable anyway now, should we execute the
> standard deprecation process when removing support for it or just remove right away?

If unsure, always use the standard process ;) Unless somebody is ready to set up
DevStack, and try it out, and prove that it's completely and hopelessly broken.

> As for the #1 and #2 I do not see any big difference between those, and proposed
> deprecating and eventually removing support for #2 ('glance://' scheme) as part
> of [5]. Two people in review already raised a concern about removing such support.

To be honest, I like glance://<uuid> more, as it makes it obvious where the
image is coming from vs http://. I don't mind removing it too much, but I guess
supporting it is not a lot of code, right?

> Thus I'd like to ask a broader audience - do we need support for glance image
> references in 'glance://*<UUID>' form? Is it actually used somewhere? What are
> the benefits of having it besides simple UUID?
>
> [0]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic/tree/ironic/common/glance_service/service_utils.py#n149
> [1]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic/tree/ironic/common/glance_service/service_utils.py#n155
> [2]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic/tree/ironic/common/glance_service/service_utils.py#n160
> [3]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic/tree/ironic/common/glance_service/service_utils.py#n208
> [4]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic/tree/ironic/common/image_service.py#n267
> [5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/467728
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
> Senior Software Engineer
> Mirantis Inc
> www.mirantis.com <http://www.mirantis.com>

Re: [ironic] support for various glance image reference formats - do we need them all?

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
HI Dmitry,

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Dmitry Tantsur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Did just that [0] - hacked up our tempest configuration so that the 'http' url for whole disk image used for *HttpLink standalone tests leads to <glance-endpoint>/v2/images/<uuid> [1].
As I kind of expected, both *HttpLink standalone tests failed, right on validating of the deploy interface when trying to do a HEAD on that URL instead of 'glance image show', receiving 401 [2].
On a side note, it seems our logging is insufficient in this parts, as I could not find any relevant logs in ironic-conductor even at debug level, all that's there are final RPC processing error logs from api.

So I am quite confident that this code paths [3] in service_utils is a dead end indeed :-/

As for the #1 and #2 I do not see any big difference between those, and proposed deprecating and eventually removing support for #2 ('glance://' scheme) as part of [5]. Two people in review already raised a concern about removing such support.

To be honest, I like glance://<uuid> more, as it makes it obvious where the image is coming from vs http://. I don't mind removing it too much, but I guess supporting it is not a lot of code, right?

That's not too much burden indeed, as long as we actually do only that - as I said, right now it is more like "glance://<anything>/uuid"

[...]

Mark Goddard-2
Hi Pavlo,

Re: [ironic] support for various glance image reference formats - do we need them all?

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Hi Mark,

I do not propose to remove handling of plain http image references altogether, just remove the code pieces in glance service utils that pretend to support such refs *for glance images*.

This code is never reached exactly due to plain http links being recognized as such from the very begining, and thus they will use a different 'image service' (HttpImageService) that has no notion of glance api, its required auth etc.

Cheers,

Hi Pavlo,