networking question

J.O'Loughlin@surrey.ac.uk

All,

I have a nova install on a single machine, I have launched an instance which I can log into from the compute node, and have associated a public IP address to the instance, see below.

root at kvm-dev02:~/project2# euca-describe-instances
RESERVATION r-omedt4i6 project2 default
INSTANCE i-00000001 ami-bn6x5xnb 131.227.76.80 10.0.0.3 running mykey (project2, kvm-dev02) 0 m1.small 2011-02-15 22:57:17.803241 nova

security groups allow ssh and icmp:

root at kvm-dev02:~/project2# euca-describe-groups
GROUP project2 default default
PERMISSION project2 default ALLOWS icmp -1 -1 FROM CIDR 0.0.0.0/0
PERMISSION project2 default ALLOWS tcp 22 22 FROM CIDR 0.0.0.0/0

but I'm not sure about the routing should now work, under eucalyptus the public IP is added as an alias to the public interface and a rule is added to iptables to nat the traffic to the instances private IP address.
It appears nova networking is different, are there any steps I have missed ?

Any help or pointers much appreciated.

Regards

John O'Loughlin
FEPS IT, Service Delivery Team Leader

networking question

Ahmed El Gamil
I would also like an answer to this question, with the current networking
models of Nova, When i need to assign private IP addresses to my instances,
I have to create an alias on NIC of the node that holds eucatools so that
the routing will be correct so as to access the instance via SSH or
whatever.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM, <J.O'Loughlin at surrey.ac.uk> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a nova install on a single machine, I have launched an instance
> which I can log into from the compute node, and have associated a public IP
> address to the instance, see below.
>
> root at kvm-dev02:~/project2# euca-describe-instances
> RESERVATION     r-omedt4i6      project2        default
> INSTANCE        i-00000001      ami-bn6x5xnb    131.227.76.80   10.0.0.3
>      running mykey (project2, kvm-dev02)     0               m1.small
>  2011-02-15 22:57:17.803241      nova
>
> security groups allow ssh and icmp:
>
> root at kvm-dev02:~/project2# euca-describe-groups
> GROUP   project2        default default
> PERMISSION      project2        default ALLOWS  icmp    -1      -1
>  FROM    CIDR    0.0.0.0/0
> PERMISSION      project2        default ALLOWS  tcp     22      22
>  FROM    CIDR    0.0.0.0/0
>
> but I'm not sure about the routing should now work, under eucalyptus the
> public IP is added as an alias to the public interface and a rule is added
> to iptables to nat the traffic to the instances private IP address.
> It appears nova networking is different, are there any steps I have missed
> ?
>
> Any help or pointers much appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> John O'Loughlin
> FEPS IT, Service Delivery Team Leader

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

networking question

J.O'Loughlin@surrey.ac.uk

In vlan networking mode, are vpns and cloud pipes the only way to assess your instances ? Is there a way of associating a public IP address to an instance, as happens with ec2 ?

PERMISSION      project2        default ALLOWS  icmp    -1      -1      FROM    CIDR    0.0.0.0/0<http://0.0.0.0/0>
PERMISSION      project2        default ALLOWS  tcp     22      22      FROM    CIDR    0.0.0.0/0<http://0.0.0.0/0>