[neutron] Stepping down from core

Armando M.
Hi neutrinos,

To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.

During the past few months my upstream community engagements have been more and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and fulfill my core responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the level of quality and consistency that I would have liked ever since I stepped down from being the Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.

I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being core is a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like it's way overdue for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's the time that I state officially my intention to step down due to other commitments.

This does not mean that I will disappear tomorrow. I'll continue to be on neutron IRC channels, support the neutron team, being the release liasion for Queens, participate at meetings, and be open to providing feedback to anyone who thinks my opinion is still valuable, especially when dealing with the neutron quirks for which I might be (git) blamed :)

Cheers,
Armando

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Rochelle Grober-2

Armando,

You’ve been great for Neutron.  It’s sad to see you have to cut back, but it’s great to hear you aren’t totally leaving.

Thank you for all of your hard work.  You’ve brought Neutron along quite nicely.  I’d also like to thank you for all of your help with the stadium projects.  Your mentorship has been invaluable.

And thanks for all the fish,

--Rocky

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Sławomir Kapłoński
Hi Armando,

It's very sad to hear that.
Thanks for all Your work for Neutron community as well as for all Your help for other contributors.
Good luck!

Best regards
Slawek Kaplonski
[hidden email]

> Wiadomość napisana przez Armando M. <[hidden email]> w dniu 15.12.2017, o godz. 20:01:
>
> Hi neutrinos,
>
> To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.
>
> During the past few months my upstream community engagements have been more and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and fulfill my core responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the level of quality and consistency that I would have liked ever since I stepped down from being the Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.
>
> I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being core is a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like it's way overdue for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's the time that I state officially my intention to step down due to other commitments.
>
> This does not mean that I will disappear tomorrow. I'll continue to be on neutron IRC channels, support the neutron team, being the release liasion for Queens, participate at meetings, and be open to providing feedback to anyone who thinks my opinion is still valuable, especially when dealing with the neutron quirks for which I might be (git) blamed :)
>
> Cheers,
> Armando

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

MIguel Lavalle
Hi Armando,

I can only echo here the sadness I expressed to you last week during our one on one conversation. This decision shows, like in many occasions in the past, that above all, you are a man a deep principles. As I said, I admire you for that. You have made invaluable contributions to OpenStack in general and Neutron in particular. We thank you for that. On a personal note, I will always be grateful for all the mentoring  and patience that you have provided me for a long time.

What encourages me is your commitment to continue being a member of the Neutron team. We need your knowledge, wisdom and guidance and we will actively seek it. I am looking forward to it!

Un Abbraccio

Miguel

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Sławomir Kapłoński <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Armando,

It's very sad to hear that.
Thanks for all Your work for Neutron community as well as for all Your help for other contributors.
Good luck!

Best regards
Slawek Kaplonski
[hidden email]

> Wiadomość napisana przez Armando M. <[hidden email]> w dniu 15.12.2017, o godz. 20:01:
>
> Hi neutrinos,
>
> To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.
>
> During the past few months my upstream community engagements have been more and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and fulfill my core responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the level of quality and consistency that I would have liked ever since I stepped down from being the Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.
>
> I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being core is a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like it's way overdue for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's the time that I state officially my intention to step down due to other commitments.
>
> This does not mean that I will disappear tomorrow. I'll continue to be on neutron IRC channels, support the neutron team, being the release liasion for Queens, participate at meetings, and be open to providing feedback to anyone who thinks my opinion is still valuable, especially when dealing with the neutron quirks for which I might be (git) blamed :)
>
> Cheers,
> Armando

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Jakub Libosvar-2
I'm sad reading this. Thanks for everything you did for the community
and best of luck in your new adventures.

Jakub

On 15/12/2017 20:01, Armando M. wrote:

> Hi neutrinos,
>
> To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.
>
> During the past few months my upstream community engagements have been more
> and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and fulfill my core
> responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the level of quality and
> consistency that I would have liked ever since I stepped down from being
> the Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.
>
> I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being core
> is a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like it's way
> overdue for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's the time that I
> state officially my intention to step down due to other commitments.
>
> This does not mean that I will disappear tomorrow. I'll continue to be on
> neutron IRC channels, support the neutron team, being the release liasion
> for Queens, participate at meetings, and be open to providing feedback to
> anyone who thinks my opinion is still valuable, especially when dealing
> with the neutron quirks for which I might be (git) blamed :)
>
> Cheers,
> Armando

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Brian Haley-3
Armando,

It is sad to see you step down, just wanted to thank you for your
leadership and hard work, both upstream and downstream, it's definitely
made neutron a better project for everyone.  Good luck wherever life
takes you.

-Brian

On 12/15/2017 02:01 PM, Armando M. wrote:

> Hi neutrinos,
>
> To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.
>
> During the past few months my upstream community engagements have been
> more and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and fulfill
> my core responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the level of
> quality and consistency that I would have liked ever since I stepped
> down from being the Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.
>
> I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being
> core is a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like it's
> way overdue for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's the time
> that I state officially my intention to step down due to other commitments.
>
> This does not mean that I will disappear tomorrow. I'll continue to be
> on neutron IRC channels, support the neutron team, being the release
> liasion for Queens, participate at meetings, and be open to providing
> feedback to anyone who thinks my opinion is still valuable, especially
> when dealing with the neutron quirks for which I might be (git) blamed :)
>
> Cheers,
> Armando

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Ihar Hrachyshka
It's a sad day. But I am happy we had you in leadership for so many
productive years. I also hope the community is anti-fragile and adopts
to changes.

I wish you all the best.
Ihar

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Armando M. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi neutrinos,
>
> To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.
>
> During the past few months my upstream community engagements have been more
> and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and fulfill my core
> responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the level of quality and
> consistency that I would have liked ever since I stepped down from being the
> Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.
>
> I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being core is
> a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like it's way overdue
> for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's the time that I state
> officially my intention to step down due to other commitments.
>
> This does not mean that I will disappear tomorrow. I'll continue to be on
> neutron IRC channels, support the neutron team, being the release liasion
> for Queens, participate at meetings, and be open to providing feedback to
> anyone who thinks my opinion is still valuable, especially when dealing with
> the neutron quirks for which I might be (git) blamed :)
>
> Cheers,
> Armando

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Henry Fourie

Armando,

Appreciate all the hard work and sage advice. Best wishes.

- Louis

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Hirofumi Ichihara-2
Hi Armando,

It's been a great pleasure working with you. We appreciate your hard work and dedication.
Best wishes and good luck at your new commitments.

Thanks,
Hirofumi

[...]

Sukhdev Kapur-2
Hey Armando,

Your leadership will be sorely missed.

Cheers..
-Sukhdev

[...]

Gary Kotton-2

Armando, wishing you the best in the future.

Forza Juve!

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Thomas Morin
Sad to hear. You brought a lot to the community in particular in
helping the Neutron Stadium take shape.

Thank you for that and all the rest!

Hoping you'll keep contributing as actively as possible,

-Thomas

Armando M., 2017-12-15 11:01:

> Hi neutrinos,
>
> To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.
>
> During the past few months my upstream community engagements have
> been more and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and
> fulfill my core responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the
> level of quality and consistency that I would have liked ever since I
> stepped down from being the Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.
>
> I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being
> core is a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like
> it's way overdue for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's
> the time that I state officially my intention to step down due to
> other commitments.
>
> This does not mean that I will disappear tomorrow. I'll continue to
> be on neutron IRC channels, support the neutron team, being the
> release liasion for Queens, participate at meetings, and be open to
> providing feedback to anyone who thinks my opinion is still valuable,
> especially when dealing with the neutron quirks for which I might be
> (git) blamed :)
>
> Cheers,
> Armando

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Assaf Muller-2
On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Armando M. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi neutrinos,
>
> To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.
>
> During the past few months my upstream community engagements have been more
> and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and fulfill my core
> responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the level of quality and
> consistency that I would have liked ever since I stepped down from being the
> Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.
>
> I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being core is
> a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like it's way overdue
> for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's the time that I state
> officially my intention to step down due to other commitments.
>
> This does not mean that I will disappear tomorrow. I'll continue to be on
> neutron IRC channels, support the neutron team, being the release liasion
> for Queens, participate at meetings, and be open to providing feedback to
> anyone who thinks my opinion is still valuable, especially when dealing with
> the neutron quirks for which I might be (git) blamed :)

How weird. You're such a fixture in the Neutron community, I can't
imagine you not being there. I can't think of many people who made a
greater impact on both the code and the community than you. You'd
probably get a kick knowing that I point new team members to your
reviews as a positive example of deep, substantive review practices.
Even highly effective people benefit from some good amount of luck,
so, good luck to you Armando :)

> Cheers,
> Armando

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

German Eichberger

Thanks for all the help and support over the years. Both LBaaS (Octavia)  and FWaaS wouldn’t be what they are today without your leadership and advice –

All the best + good luck,

German

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

reedip banerjee
Hi Armando,
Its not easy to hear this news.
But all the best of luck to you Armando for your future endeavors.

Best Regards,
Reedip

Hi,

From: "Armando M." <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, December 15, 2017 at 8:04 PM

[...]

Thanks and Regards,
Reedip Banerjee
IRC: reedip

Re: [neutron] Stepping down from core

Takashi Yamamoto
On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 4:01 AM, Armando M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi neutrinos,
>
> To some of you this email may not come as a surprise.

it was a surprise to me.

> During the past few months my upstream community engagements have been more
> and more sporadic. While I tried hard to stay committed and fulfill my core
> responsibilities I feel like I failed to retain the level of quality and
> consistency that I would have liked ever since I stepped down from being the
> Neutron PTL back at the end of Ocata.
>
> I stated many times when talking to other core developers that being core is
> a duty rather than a privilege, and I personally feel like it's way overdue
> for me to recognize on the mailing list that it's the time that I state
> officially my intention to step down due to other commitments.

it seems you have a very high standard.
i suspect many of us should resign if we all follow your standard. :-)