[neutron] [l2gw] DSVM gates for networking-l2gw

[neutron] [l2gw] DSVM gates for networking-l2gw

Ricardo Noriega De Soto
Hello L2GWers

Currently networking-l2gw CI only covers unit tests. However, there is an experimental check that starts a devstack VM to be able to run more complex tests. That experimental check is not working, and we are trying to fix it, however we encountered some difficulties that we wanted to share with you.

The configuration of the experimental check uses the L2GW agent which is very good, however, the API tests try to create a l2gw connection and fail since there is not an ovsdb instance with the vtep schema to execute.

If we use the dummy driver, these three failing testcases will be skipped and we have a way to test the API (without backend).

So for now, our proposal is to modify this experimental check using the dummy driver, and convert it to a possible non-voting -> voting gate executing pure API tests.

Furthermore, we will start working on a new gate with the l2gw agent and create a new OVS entity in a namespace or something similar to be able to test api and agent together.

Any comment is more than welcome!

Thanks guys

--
Ricardo Noriega

Senior Software Engineer - NFV Partner Engineer | Office of Technology  | Red Hat
irc: rnoriega @freenode

Re: [neutron] [l2gw] DSVM gates for networking-l2gw

Daniel Mellado
Hi Ricardo,

That sounds like a totally valid approach to me, but I was wondering if
there'd be a way to mock that API call. If just using the dummy driver
would achieve that then I'd be more than happy to see that modification.

Cheers!

Daniel

El 15/06/17 a las 06:38, Ricardo Noriega De Soto escribió:

> Hello L2GWers
>
> Currently networking-l2gw CI only covers unit tests. However, there is
> an experimental check that starts a devstack VM to be able to run more
> complex tests. That experimental check is not working, and we are trying
> to fix it, however we encountered some difficulties that we wanted to
> share with you.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471692/
>
> The configuration of the experimental check uses the L2GW agent which is
> very good, however, the API tests try to create a l2gw connection and
> fail since there is not an ovsdb instance with the vtep schema to execute.
>
> If we use the dummy driver, these three failing testcases will be
> skipped and we have a way to test the API (without backend).
>
> So for now, our proposal is to modify this experimental check using the
> dummy driver, and convert it to a possible non-voting -> voting gate
> executing pure API tests.
>
> Furthermore, we will start working on a new gate with the l2gw agent and
> create a new OVS entity in a namespace or something similar to be able
> to test api and agent together.
>
> Any comment is more than welcome!
>
> Thanks guys
>
> --
> Ricardo Noriega
>
> Senior Software Engineer - NFV Partner Engineer | Office of Technology
>  | Red Hat
> irc: rnoriega @freenode

Re: [neutron] [l2gw] DSVM gates for networking-l2gw

Ricardo Noriega De Soto
Hello,

The dummy driver allows you to make writes/reads from the database and that's something we should be continuously testing. I think you cannot achieve that mocking the API calls.

Cheers