new SIGs to cover use cases

Arkady.Kanevsky

Team,

At today Board and joint TC and UC meetings 2 questions come up:

  1. Do we have or want to create a user community around Hybrid cloud. This is one of the major push of OpenStack for the communities. With 70+% of questionnaire responders told that they deploy and use hybrid cloud. We do have Public and Private clouds SIGs but not hybrid. That brings the question where do we capture and driver hybrid cloud requirements.
  2. As we target AI/ML as 2019 target application domain do we want to create a SIG for it? Or do we extend scientific community SIG to cover it?

Want to start dialog on it.

Thanks,

Arkady

Re: new SIGs to cover use cases

Jeremy Stanley
On 2018-11-12 15:46:38 +0000 (+0000), [hidden email] wrote:
[...]
>   1.  Do we have or want to create a user community around Hybrid cloud.
[...]
>   2.  As we target AI/ML as 2019 target application domain do we
>   want to create a SIG for it? Or do we extend scientific
>   community SIG to cover it?
[...]

It may also be worthwhile to ask this on the openstack-sigs mailing
list.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: new SIGs to cover use cases

Arkady.Kanevsky
Good point.
Adding SIG list.

Please report any suspicious attachments, links, or requests for sensitive information.

On 2018-11-12 15:46:38 +0000 (+0000), [hidden email] wrote:
[...]
>   1.  Do we have or want to create a user community around Hybrid cloud.
[...]
>   2.  As we target AI/ML as 2019 target application domain do we
>   want to create a SIG for it? Or do we extend scientific
>   community SIG to cover it?
[...]

It may also be worthwhile to ask this on the openstack-sigs mailing
list.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: new SIGs to cover use cases

Stig Telfer-2
You are right to make the connection - this is a subject that regularly comes up in the discussions of the Scientific SIG, though it’s just one of many use cases for hybrid cloud.  If a new SIG was created around hybrid cloud, it would be useful to have it closely connected with the Scientific SIG.

Cheers,
Stig

> On 13 Nov 2018, at 09:01, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good point.
> Adding SIG list.

Re: [Openstack-sigs] new SIGs to cover use cases

Yih Leong, Sun.
Wondering if we should *up level* to Multi-Cloud, where Hybrid Cloud can be a subset of Multi-Cloud.
I think Scientific SIG can still focus on Scientific and HPC, whereas Multi/Hybrid Cloud will support broader use cases.