[nova] Can we deprecate the server backup API please?

[nova] Can we deprecate the server backup API please?

Jay Pipes
The server backup API was added 8 years ago. It has Nova basically
implementing a poor-man's cron for some unknown reason (probably because
the original RAX Cloud Servers API had some similar or identical
functionality, who knows...).

Can we deprecate this functionality please? It's confusing for end users
to have an `openstack server image create` and `openstack server backup
create` command where the latter does virtually the same thing as the
former only sets up some whacky cron-like thing and deletes images after
some number of rotations.

If a cloud provider wants to offer some backup thing as a service, they
could implement this functionality separately IMHO, store the user's
requested cronjob state in their own system (or in glance which is kind
of how the existing Nova createBackup functionality works), and run a
simple cronjob executor that ran `openstack server image create` and
`openstack image delete` as needed.

This is a perfect example of an API that should never have been added to
the Compute API, in my opinion, and removing it would be a step in the
right direction if we're going to get serious about cleaning the Compute
API up.

Thoughts?
-jay

Re: [nova] Can we deprecate the server backup API please?

Tim Bell
Mistral can schedule the executions and then a workflow to do the server image create.

The CERN implementation of this is described at http://openstack-in-production.blogspot.com/2017/08/scheduled-snapshots.html with the implementation at https://gitlab.cern.ch/cloud-infrastructure/mistral-workflows. It is pretty generic but I don't know if anyone has tried to run it elsewhere.

A few features

- Schedule can be chosen
- Logs visible in Horizon
- Option to shutdown instances before and restart after
- Mails can be sent on success and/or failure
- Rotation of backups to keep a maximum number of copies

There are equivalent restore and clone functions in the workflow also.

Tim

Re: [nova] Can we deprecate the server backup API please?

Alex Xu-2
Sounds make sense to me, and then we needn't fix this strange behaviour also https://review.openstack.org/#/c/409644/

Jay Pipes <[hidden email]> 于2018年11月17日周六 上午3:56写道:
[...]

Matt Riedemann-3
On 11/18/2018 6:51 AM, Alex Xu wrote:
> Sounds make sense to me, and then we needn't fix this strange behaviour
> also https://review.openstack.org/#/c/409644/

The same discussion was had in the spec for that change:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511825/

Ultimately it amounted to a big "meh, let's just not fix the bug but
also no one really cares about deprecating the API either".

The only thing deprecating the API would do is signal that it probably
shouldn't be used. We would still support it on older microversions. If
all anyone cares about is signalling not to use the API then deprecation
is probably fine, but I personally don't feel too strongly about it
either way.

Matt