[nova] Obtaining nova settings at runtime

[nova] Obtaining nova settings at runtime

Carlos Konstanski
Is there a way to obtain nova configuration settings at runtime without
resorting to SSHing onto the compute host and greping nova.conf? For
instance a CLI call? At the moment I'm looking at cpu_allocation_ratio
and ram_allocation_ratio. There may be more along this vein.

Alles Gute,
Carlos Konstanski

Re: [nova] Obtaining nova settings at runtime

Matt Riedemann-3
On 6/14/2017 10:57 AM, Carlos Konstanski wrote:

> Is there a way to obtain nova configuration settings at runtime without
> resorting to SSHing onto the compute host and greping nova.conf? For
> instance a CLI call? At the moment I'm looking at cpu_allocation_ratio
> and ram_allocation_ratio. There may be more along this vein.
>
> Alles Gute,
> Carlos Konstanski

No there isn't.

For the specific case you're looking for though, you could use the
Placement REST API:

http://docs-draft.openstack.org/32/470932/5/check/gate-placement-api-ref-nv/771f604//placement-api-ref/build/html/?expanded=show-resource-provider-detail,show-resource-provider-inventory-detail

Using ^ you could get the VCPU resource class inventory allocation ratio
for a given resource provider, where an example of a resource provider
is a compute node.

For a compute node resource provider, the uuid is the same as the
compute_nodes.uuid field and the name is the
compute_nodes.hypervisor_hostname field.

Note that we don't expose compute node uuids out of the compute REST API
yet, but I'm working on that here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471899/

Matt

Re: [nova] Obtaining nova settings at runtime

Chris Friesen
On 06/14/2017 10:31 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 6/14/2017 10:57 AM, Carlos Konstanski wrote:
>> Is there a way to obtain nova configuration settings at runtime without
>> resorting to SSHing onto the compute host and greping nova.conf? For
>> instance a CLI call? At the moment I'm looking at cpu_allocation_ratio
>> and ram_allocation_ratio. There may be more along this vein.
>>
>> Alles Gute,
>> Carlos Konstanski

> No there isn't.
>
> For the specific case you're looking for though, you could use the Placement
> REST API:
>
> http://docs-draft.openstack.org/32/470932/5/check/gate-placement-api-ref-nv/771f604//placement-api-ref/build/html/?expanded=show-resource-provider-detail,show-resource-provider-inventory-detail
>

> Using ^ you could get the VCPU resource class inventory allocation ratio for a
> given resource provider, where an example of a resource provider is a compute node.
>
> For a compute node resource provider, the uuid is the same as the
> compute_nodes.uuid field and the name is the compute_nodes.hypervisor_hostname
> field.

There's a small complication here...if AggregateRamFilter/AggregateCoreFilter
scheduler filters are enabled the cpu_allocation_ratio and ram_allocation_ratio
set in nova.conf on the compute nodes can be overwridden by ratios set in the
aggregates.

Chris