[nova][vlan trunking] Guest networking configuration for vlan trunk

[nova][vlan trunking] Guest networking configuration for vlan trunk

Robert Li (baoli)

Hi,

I’m trying to find out if there is support in nova (in terms of metadata and cfgdrive) to configure vlan trunking in the guest. In the ‘CLI usage example’ provided in this wiki https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/TrunkPort, it indicates:

# The typical cloud image will auto-configure the first NIC (eg. eth0) only and not the vlan interfaces (eg. eth0.VLAN-ID).

ssh VM0-ADDRESS sudo ip link add link eth0 name eth0.101 type vlan id 101

I’d like to understand why the support of configuring vlan interfaces in the guest is not added. And should it be added?

Thanks,

Robert

Re: [nova][vlan trunking] Guest networking configuration for vlan trunk

Moshe Levi

Hi Robert,

The closes thing that I know about is tagging of SR-IOV physical function’s VLAN tag to guests see [1]

Maybe you can leverage the same mechanism to config vlan trunking in guest.

[1] - https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/ocata/implemented/sriov-pf-passthrough-neutron-port-vlan.html

Re: [nova][vlan trunking] Guest networking configuration for vlan trunk

Robert Li (baoli)

Hi Levi,

Thanks for the info. I noticed that support in the nova code, but was wondering why something similar is not available for vlan trunking.

--Robert

On 5/22/17, 3:34 PM, "Moshe Levi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Robert,

The closes thing that I know about is tagging of SR-IOV physical function’s VLAN tag to guests see [1]

Maybe you can leverage the same mechanism to config vlan trunking in guest.

[1] - https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/ocata/implemented/sriov-pf-passthrough-neutron-port-vlan.html

Re: [nova][vlan trunking] Guest networking configuration for vlan trunk

Robert Li (baoli)

Hi Kevin,

In that case, I will start working on it. Should this be considered a RFE or a regular bug?

Thanks,

Robert

On 5/23/17, 12:12 AM, "Kevin Benton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think we just need someone to volunteer to do the work to expose it as metadata to the VM in Nova.

On May 22, 2017 1:27 PM, "Robert Li (baoli)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Levi,

Thanks for the info. I noticed that support in the nova code, but was wondering why something similar is not available for vlan trunking.

--Robert

On 5/22/17, 3:34 PM, "Moshe Levi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Robert,

The closes thing that I know about is tagging of SR-IOV physical function’s VLAN tag to guests see [1]

Maybe you can leverage the same mechanism to config vlan trunking in guest.

[1] - https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/ocata/implemented/sriov-pf-passthrough-neutron-port-vlan.html

Re: [nova][vlan trunking] Guest networking configuration for vlan trunk

Armando M.

On 24 May 2017 at 08:53, Robert Li (baoli) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Kevin,

In that case, I will start working on it. Should this be considered a RFE or a regular bug?

There have been discussions in the past about this [1]. The conclusion of the discussion was: Nova should have everything it needs to expose trunk details to guest via the metadata API/config drive and at this stage nothing is required from the neutron end (and hence there's no point in filing a Neutron RFE).

While notifying trunk changes to nova require a simple minor enhancement in neutron, it seems premature to go down that path when there's no nova scaffolding yet. Someone should then figure out how the guest itself gets notified of trunk changes so that it can rearrange its networking stack. That might as well be left to some special sauce added to the guest image, though no meaningful discussion has taken place on how to crack this particular nut.

HTH
Armando

[...]

Bence Romsics-2
Hi Robert,

I'm late to this thread, but let me add a bit. There was an attempt
for trunk support in nova metadata on the Pike PTG:

https://review.openstack.org/399076

But that was abandoned right after the PTG, because the agreement
seemed to be in favor of putting the trunk details into the upcoming
os-vif object. The os-vif object was supposed to be described in a new
patch set to this change:

https://review.openstack.org/390513

Unfortunately there's not much happening there since. Looking back now
it seems to me that turning the os-vif object into a prerequisite made
this work too big to ever happen. I definitely didn't have the time to
take that on.

But anyway I hope the abandoned spec may provide relevant input to you.

Cheers,
Bence

Re: [nova][vlan trunking] Guest networking configuration for vlan trunk

Robert Li (baoli)
Hi Bence,

Thanks for the pointers. I was aware of this https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1631371, but not the blueprint you wrote.

As suggested by Matt in https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1693535, I wrote a blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/expose-vlan-trunking, trying to tackle it in a simple manner.