novnc is non-free

Thomas Goirand
Hi,

Ghe Rivero wrote the initial novnc Debian package. Though there's few
issues upstream, which I think needs to be reported. Ghe wrote this:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=openstack/novnc.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/README.source;hb=HEAD

I would very much like this to be addressed upstream, so we don't have
to deal with differences from the upstream Git repository.

Also, there's no tag at all in the github repo at:
https://github.com/openstack/noVNC

Could tags be added please?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Re: novnc is non-free

Daniel P. Berrange
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:39:19PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ghe Rivero wrote the initial novnc Debian package. Though there's few
> issues upstream, which I think needs to be reported. Ghe wrote this:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=openstack/novnc.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/README.source;hb=HEAD
>
> I would very much like this to be addressed upstream, so we don't have
> to deal with differences from the upstream Git repository.
>
> Also, there's no tag at all in the github repo at:
> https://github.com/openstack/noVNC
>
> Could tags be added please?

That is not the official noVNC code repository, it is an ancient
unmaintained fork that no one should still be using. It'd be good
if someone with commit access to that repo could either delete it,
or add a note that it isn't maintained & point people to the right
place.

noVNC isn't actually a OpenStack project, rather it is maintained
by a 3rd party with the canonical upstream GIT being this link:

  https://github.com/kanaka/noVNC

So this feedback is best directed to the upstream author.

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com      -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org              -o-             http://virt-manager.org :|

Re: [Openstack-devel] novnc is non-free

Thomas Goirand
> That is not the official noVNC code repository, it is an ancient
> unmaintained fork that no one should still be using. It'd be good
> if someone with commit access to that repo could either delete it,
> or add a note that it isn't maintained & point people to the right
> place.

Yeah! It should be deleted. It's very confusing indeed.

> noVNC isn't actually a OpenStack project, rather it is maintained
> by a 3rd party with the canonical upstream GIT being this link:
>
>   https://github.com/kanaka/noVNC

Thanks, I wasn't sure of that.

> So this feedback is best directed to the upstream author.

I'll be doing just that!

Thomas

Re: [Openstack-devel] novnc is non-free

Jeremy Stanley
On 2013-03-27 23:22:28 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Yeah! It should be deleted. It's very confusing indeed.
[...]

Agreed. I'm working on getting a couple more points of consensus,
but I hope to delete it or at least merge a huge disclaimer on top
of it shortly. It looks like it got forked a couple years ago with a
one-line patch added, and has just been sitting there untouched ever
since.
--
Jeremy Stanley