[ptls][all][tc][docs] Documentation migration spec

[ptls][all][tc][docs] Documentation migration spec

Alexandra Settle-2

Hi everyone,

Doug and I have written up a spec following on from the conversation [0] that we had regarding the documentation publishing future.

Please take the time out of your day to review the spec as this affects *everyone*.

See: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/472275/

I will be PTO from the 9th – 19th of June. If you have any pressing concerns, please email me and I will get back to you as soon as I can, or, email Doug Hellmann and hopefully he will be able to assist you.

Thanks,

Alex

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117162.html

Re: [keystone][glance][nova][neutron][horizon][cinder][osc][swift][manila][telemetry][heat][ptls][all][tc][docs] Documentation migration spec

Doug Hellmann-2
I added subject tags for the projects most affected by this change. It
would be good to have the PTLs or liaisons from those teams review the
spec so there are no surprises when we start moving files around.

Excerpts from Alexandra Settle's message of 2017-06-08 15:17:34 +0000:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Doug and I have written up a spec following on from the conversation [0] that we had regarding the documentation publishing future.
>
> Please take the time out of your day to review the spec as this affects *everyone*.
>
> See: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/472275/
>
> I will be PTO from the 9th – 19th of June. If you have any pressing concerns, please email me and I will get back to you as soon as I can, or, email Doug Hellmann and hopefully he will be able to assist you.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex
>
> [0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117162.html

Re: [keystone][glance][nova][neutron][horizon][cinder][osc][swift][manila][telemetry][heat][ptls][all][tc][docs] Documentation migration spec

Doug Hellmann-2
Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-06-12 11:43:25 -0400:
> I added subject tags for the projects most affected by this change. It
> would be good to have the PTLs or liaisons from those teams review the
> spec so there are no surprises when we start moving files around.

I have set up patches for oslo.config, glance, glance client,
python-openstackclient, and horizon for folks to use as examples
[1]. I've also updated the tracking etherpad [2] with some more
detailed directions.

I hope the examples will answer any remaining questions about the
plan and PTLs will sign-off on the spec so we can move forward in
earnest next week.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:doc-migration
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/doc-migration-tracking

> Excerpts from Alexandra Settle's message of 2017-06-08 15:17:34 +0000:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Doug and I have written up a spec following on from the conversation [0] that we had regarding the documentation publishing future.
> >
> > Please take the time out of your day to review the spec as this affects *everyone*.
> >
> > See: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/472275/
> >
> > I will be PTO from the 9th – 19th of June. If you have any pressing concerns, please email me and I will get back to you as soon as I can, or, email Doug Hellmann and hopefully he will be able to assist you.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > [0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117162.html

Re: [keystone][glance][nova][neutron][horizon][cinder][osc][swift][manila][telemetry][heat][ptls][all][tc][docs] Documentation migration spec

Alexandra Settle-2
Hi everyone,

Doug has been working hard in my absence to answer everyone’s questions and concerns on the migration spec. Thanks to all that have taken the time to review.

Due to our limited time frame, we are now looking for the PTLs to provide their respective +1’s (or -1’s) on the patch.

Cheers,

Alex

On 6/15/17, 11:26 PM, "Doug Hellmann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-06-12 11:43:25 -0400:
    > I added subject tags for the projects most affected by this change. It
    > would be good to have the PTLs or liaisons from those teams review the
    > spec so there are no surprises when we start moving files around.

    I have set up patches for oslo.config, glance, glance client,
    python-openstackclient, and horizon for folks to use as examples
    [1]. I've also updated the tracking etherpad [2] with some more
    detailed directions.

    I hope the examples will answer any remaining questions about the
    plan and PTLs will sign-off on the spec so we can move forward in
    earnest next week.

    Doug

    [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:doc-migration
    [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/doc-migration-tracking

    > Excerpts from Alexandra Settle's message of 2017-06-08 15:17:34 +0000:
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > Doug and I have written up a spec following on from the conversation [0] that we had regarding the documentation publishing future.
    > >
    > > Please take the time out of your day to review the spec as this affects *everyone*.
    > >
    > > See: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/472275/
    > >
    > > I will be PTO from the 9th – 19th of June. If you have any pressing concerns, please email me and I will get back to you as soon as I can, or, email Doug Hellmann and hopefully he will be able to assist you.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Alex
    > >
    > > [0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117162.html

Re: [ptls][all][tc][docs] Documentation migration spec

Doug Hellmann-2
Excerpts from Alexandra Settle's message of 2017-06-08 15:17:34 +0000:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Doug and I have written up a spec following on from the conversation [0] that we had regarding the documentation publishing future.
>
> Please take the time out of your day to review the spec as this affects *everyone*.
>
> See: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/472275/
>
> I will be PTO from the 9th – 19th of June. If you have any pressing concerns, please email me and I will get back to you as soon as I can, or, email Doug Hellmann and hopefully he will be able to assist you.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex
>
> [0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117162.html

Andreas pointed out that the new documentation job will behave a
little differently from the old setup, and thought I should mention
it so that people aren't surprised.

The new job is configured to update the docs for all repos every
time a patch is merged, not just when we tag releases. The server
projects have been working that way, but this is different for some
of the libraries, especially the clients.

I will be going back and adding a step to build the docs when we
tag releases after the move actually starts, so that we can link
to docs for specific versions of projects. That change will be
transparent to everyone else, so I have it on the list for after
the migration is under way.

Doug

[ptls][all][tc][docs] Documentation migration spec

Alexandra Settle-2

Hi everyone,

This morning (afternoon) the specification for the documentation migration was merged. Thanks to all that took time to review :)

You can now view here in all its glory: https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/pike/os-manuals-migration.html

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them to me or Doug :)

Let’s begin!

Alex

Re: [ptls][all][tc][docs] Documentation migration spec

Ренат Ахмеров
I can say for Mistral . We only planned to add Mistral docs to the central repo but didn’t do it yet. So, as far as I understand, we don’t need to move anything. We’ll review the spec and adjust the folder structure according to the proposed.

Thanks

Renat Akhmerov
@Nokia

On Jun 23, 2017, at 8:57 AM, Renat Akhmerov <[hidden email]> wrote:

I can say for Mistral . We only planned to add Mistral docs to the central repo but didn’t do it yet. So, as far as I understand, we don’t need to move anything. We’ll review the spec and adjust the folder structure according to the proposed.

Please do review the steps in the spec. Not all of them are about moving content. There are steps for setting up the new build job so that the content will be published to the new URLs as well.

Doug

[...]

j.klare@cloudbau.de
Hi Doug,

first of all sorry for the late response. I am the current PTL of the openstack-chef project and read the spec a while ago, but did not really connect it to our project. To be honest, i am not really sure what we would move and how to do it. Currently we have some wiki pages, but most of them are pretty old and completely outdated since we stopped caring for them after we dropped to only a few contributors and moved our focus to maintaining the project code itself.

Currently we own and maintain 12 service and ops cookbook repositories:

cookbook-openstack-block-storage
cookbook-openstack-common
cookbook-openstack-compute
cookbook-openstack-dashboard
cookbook-openstack-identity
cookbook-openstack-image
cookbook-openstack-integration-test
cookbook-openstack-network
cookbook-openstack-ops-database
cookbook-openstack-ops-messaging
cookbook-openstack-orchestration
cookbook-openstack-telemetry

one (not very often used) specs repository:

openstack-chef-specs

 and one repo to integrate them all:

openstack-chef-repo

All of these repos have some READMEs that contain some of the documentation needed to use these. The documentation on how to use the openstack-chef project as a combination of all these cookbooks, is located under https://github.com/openstack/openstack-chef-repo/tree/master/doc (which might already be close to the right space ?). Looking through the openstack-manuals repo, i did not find any documentation specific for our projects, so i think we do not need to export/import any of it. In my opinion the easiest way to follow the proposed change of us would be to just move the stuff we have under the ‘openstack-chef-repo’ mentioned above and add some more files to follow the ‘minimal layout’. If you agree on this, i can try to push a patch for it next week and add you as a reviewer?

Cheers,
Jan

On Jun 23, 2017, at 12:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Yes, it sounds like you only need to move things you already have around into the new structure. You don’t need to create empty directories or pages for content that doesn’t apply, so if you don’t have any configuration guide instructions for example then you don’t need to create the configuration/ directory.

If you add me as a reviewer, I’ll help make sure you have it organized as expected. And if you use the doc-migration tag the other folks working on the migration will review the patch, too.

Doug