[python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

123

[python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Corey Bryant
Hi All,

I'd like to enable py37 unit tests in the gate.

== Background ==

I work on OpenStack packaging for Ubuntu. During the Rocky release (Ubuntu Cosmic) I tried to fix py37 bugs upstream as I came across them. There ended up being a lot of py37 issues and after a while, due to time constraints, I resorted to just opening bugs and disabling py37 unit tests that were failing in our package builds. Luckily enough, even though Cosmic ships with python3.6 and python3.7, python3.6 ended up being chosen as the default for Cosmic.

== Defaulting to python3.7 ==

The next release of Ubuntu opens in just a few weeks. It will default to python3.7 and will not include python3.6. My hope is that if I can help enable py37 unit tests upstream now, we can get a wider view at fixing issues soon.

== Enabling py37 unit tests ==

Ubuntu Bionic (18.04 LTS) has the 3.7.0 interpreter and I have reviews up to define the py37 zuul job and templates here:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609066

I'd like to start submitting reviews to projects to enable openstack-python37-jobs (or variant) for projects that already have openstack-python36-jobs in their .zuul.yaml, zuul.yaml, .zuul.d/project.yaml.

== Coinciding work ==

There is python3-first work going on now and I completely understand that this is going to cause more work for some projects. It seems that now is as good of a time as ever to catch up and test with a recent python3 version. I'm sure python3.8 and beyond will be here before we know it.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Thanks,
Corey

Re: [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Jeremy Stanley
On 2018-10-10 08:45:39 -0400 (-0400), Corey Bryant wrote:
[...]
> Ubuntu Bionic (18.04 LTS) has the 3.7.0 interpreter
[...]

Thanks for the heads up! Last time I looked it was still a pre-3.7.0
beta package, but looks like that has finally been updated to a
proper release of the interpreter for Bionic in the last few weeks?
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Andreas Jaeger
On 10/10/2018 14.45, Corey Bryant wrote:

> [...]
> == Enabling py37 unit tests ==
>
> Ubuntu Bionic (18.04 LTS) has the 3.7.0 interpreter and I have reviews
> up to define the py37 zuul job and templates here:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609066
>
> I'd like to start submitting reviews to projects to enable
> openstack-python37-jobs (or variant) for projects that already have
> openstack-python36-jobs in their .zuul.yaml, zuul.yaml,
> .zuul.d/project.yaml.

We have projects testing python 3.5 and 3.6 already. Adding 3.7 to it is
a lot of wasted VMs. Can we limit testing and not test all three, please?

Andreas
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

On 2018-10-10 08:45:39 -0400 (-0400), Corey Bryant wrote:
[...]
> Ubuntu Bionic (18.04 LTS) has the 3.7.0 interpreter
[...]

Thanks for the heads up! Last time I looked it was still a pre-3.7.0
beta package, but looks like that has finally been updated to a
proper release of the interpreter for Bionic in the last few weeks?

Yes, it was recently updated. It was originally a sync from Debian and we got what we got in Bionic but the foundations folks were kind enough to update it for us. This is a universe package for Bionic so it's not officially supported but it should be good enough for unit testing. Another option could be to use a non-LTS image to use a supported release.

Corey

--
Jeremy Stanley

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/10/2018 14.45, Corey Bryant wrote:
> [...]
> == Enabling py37 unit tests ==
>
> Ubuntu Bionic (18.04 LTS) has the 3.7.0 interpreter and I have reviews
> up to define the py37 zuul job and templates here:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609066
>
> I'd like to start submitting reviews to projects to enable
> openstack-python37-jobs (or variant) for projects that already have
> openstack-python36-jobs in their .zuul.yaml, zuul.yaml,
> .zuul.d/project.yaml.

We have projects testing python 3.5 and 3.6 already. Adding 3.7 to it is
a lot of wasted VMs. Can we limit testing and not test all three, please?

Well, I wouldn't call any of them wasted if they're testing against a supported Python version.

Corey

Andreas
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

On 2018-10-10 09:38:14 -0400 (-0400), Corey Bryant wrote:
[...]
> Another option could be to use a non-LTS image to use a supported
> release.

Let's avoid creating additional images unless there is a strong
reason (every additional image means more load on our image
builders, more space consumed in our providers, et cetera). Bionic
seems like it will serve fine for this purpose now that it's got
more than a pre-release of 3.7.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Jay Pipes
On 10/10/2018 09:42 AM, Corey Bryant wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/10/2018 14.45, Corey Bryant wrote:
>      > [...]
>      > == Enabling py37 unit tests ==
>      >
>      > Ubuntu Bionic (18.04 LTS) has the 3.7.0 interpreter and I have
>     reviews
>      > up to define the py37 zuul job and templates here:
>      > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609066
>      >
>      > I'd like to start submitting reviews to projects to enable
>      > openstack-python37-jobs (or variant) for projects that already have
>      > openstack-python36-jobs in their .zuul.yaml, zuul.yaml,
>      > .zuul.d/project.yaml.
>
>     We have projects testing python 3.5 and 3.6 already. Adding 3.7 to
>     it is
>     a lot of wasted VMs. Can we limit testing and not test all three,
>     please?
>
> Well, I wouldn't call any of them wasted if they're testing against a
> supported Python version.

++

-jay

On 10/10/2018 15.42, Corey Bryant wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/10/2018 14.45, Corey Bryant wrote:
>      > [...]
>      > == Enabling py37 unit tests ==
>      >
>      > Ubuntu Bionic (18.04 LTS) has the 3.7.0 interpreter and I have
>     reviews
>      > up to define the py37 zuul job and templates here:
>      > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609066
>      >
>      > I'd like to start submitting reviews to projects to enable
>      > openstack-python37-jobs (or variant) for projects that already have
>      > openstack-python36-jobs in their .zuul.yaml, zuul.yaml,
>      > .zuul.d/project.yaml.
>
>     We have projects testing python 3.5 and 3.6 already. Adding 3.7 to
>     it is
>     a lot of wasted VMs. Can we limit testing and not test all three,
>     please?
>

> Well, I wouldn't call any of them wasted if they're testing against a
> supported Python version.

What I mean is that we run too into a situation where we have a large
backlog of CI jobs since we have to many changes and jobs in flight.

So, I'm asking whether there is a good way to not duplicating all jobs
to run on all three interpreters. Do we really need testing of all three
versions? Or is testing with a subset a manageable risk?

Andreas
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:09 AM Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/10/2018 15.42, Corey Bryant wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/10/2018 14.45, Corey Bryant wrote:
>      > [...]
>      > == Enabling py37 unit tests ==
>      >
>      > Ubuntu Bionic (18.04 LTS) has the 3.7.0 interpreter and I have
>     reviews
>      > up to define the py37 zuul job and templates here:
>      > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609066
>      >
>      > I'd like to start submitting reviews to projects to enable
>      > openstack-python37-jobs (or variant) for projects that already have
>      > openstack-python36-jobs in their .zuul.yaml, zuul.yaml,
>      > .zuul.d/project.yaml.
>
>     We have projects testing python 3.5 and 3.6 already. Adding 3.7 to
>     it is
>     a lot of wasted VMs. Can we limit testing and not test all three,
>     please?
>

> Well, I wouldn't call any of them wasted if they're testing against a
> supported Python version.

What I mean is that we run too into a situation where we have a large
backlog of CI jobs since we have to many changes and jobs in flight.

So, I'm asking whether there is a good way to not duplicating all jobs
to run on all three interpreters. Do we really need testing of all three
versions? Or is testing with a subset a manageable risk?

Fair enough. I'm probably not the right person to answer so perhaps someone else can chime in. One thing worth pointing out is that it seems the jump from 3.5 to 3.6 wasn't nearly as painful as the jump from 3.6 to 3.7, at least in my experience.

On 2018-10-10 16:09:21 +0200 (+0200), Andreas Jaeger wrote:
[...]
> So, I'm asking whether there is a good way to not duplicating all
> jobs to run on all three interpreters. Do we really need testing
> of all three versions? Or is testing with a subset a manageable
> risk?

OpenStack projects are hopefully switching to testing on Bionic
instead of Xenial during the Stein cycle, so will stop testing with
Python 3.5 on master when that happens (since Bionic provides
3.6/3.7 and no 3.5).
--
Jeremy Stanley

On 2018-10-10 16:09:21 +0200 (+0200), Andreas Jaeger wrote:
[...]
> So, I'm asking whether there is a good way to not duplicating all
> jobs to run on all three interpreters. Do we really need testing
> of all three versions? Or is testing with a subset a manageable
> risk?

OpenStack projects are hopefully switching to testing on Bionic
instead of Xenial during the Stein cycle, so will stop testing with
Python 3.5 on master when that happens (since Bionic provides
3.6/3.7 and no 3.5).

That would be ideal, in which case dropping py35 and adding py37 for master in Stein shouldn't require any more resources.

Corey

--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Sean McGinnis

> > What I mean is that we run too into a situation where we have a large
> > backlog of CI jobs since we have to many changes and jobs in flight.
> >
> > So, I'm asking whether there is a good way to not duplicating all jobs
> > to run on all three interpreters. Do we really need testing of all three
> > versions? Or is testing with a subset a manageable risk?
> >

> Fair enough. I'm probably not the right person to answer so perhaps someone
> else can chime in. One thing worth pointing out is that it seems the jump
> from 3.5 to 3.6 wasn't nearly as painful as the jump from 3.6 to 3.7, at
> least in my experience.
>
> Corey

I share Andreas's concerns. I would rather see us testing 3.5 and 3.7 versus
3.5, 3.6, and 3.7. I would expect anything that passes on 3.7 to be fairly safe
when it comes to 3.6 runtimes.

Maybe a periodic job that exercies 3.6?

Sean

On 2018-10-10 16:00:40 -0500 (-0500), Sean McGinnis wrote:
[...]
> I would rather see us testing 3.5 and 3.7 versus 3.5, 3.6, and
> 3.7.
[...]

I might have only pointed this out on IRC so far, but the
expectation is that testing 3.5 and 3.6 at the same time was merely
transitional since official OpenStack projects should be moving
their testing from Ubuntu Xenial (which provides 3.5) to Ubuntu
Bionic (which provides 3.6 and, now, 3.7 as well) during the Stein
cycle and so will drop 3.5 testing on master in the process.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Goutham Pacha Ravi
On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM Jeremy Stanley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-10-10 16:00:40 -0500 (-0500), Sean McGinnis wrote:
> [...]
> > I would rather see us testing 3.5 and 3.7 versus 3.5, 3.6, and
> > 3.7.
> [...]
>
> I might have only pointed this out on IRC so far, but the
> expectation is that testing 3.5 and 3.6 at the same time was merely
> transitional since official OpenStack projects should be moving
> their testing from Ubuntu Xenial (which provides 3.5) to Ubuntu
> Bionic (which provides 3.6 and, now, 3.7 as well) during the Stein
> cycle and so will drop 3.5 testing on master in the process.

++ on switching python3.5 jobs to testing with python3.7 on Bionic.
python3.5 wasn't supported on all distros [1][2][3][4][5]. Xenial had it,
so it was nice to test with it when developing Queens and Rocky.

Thanks Corey for starting this effort. I proposed changes to
manila repos to use your template [1] [2], but the interpreter's not
being installed,
do you need to make any bindep changes to enable the "universe" ppa and install
python3.7 and python3.7-dev?

[1] OpenSuse https://software.opensuse.org/package/python3
[2] Ubuntu https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=python3
[3] Fedora https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/python3
[4] Arch https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/python/
[5] Gentoo https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations
[6] manila https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609558
[7] python-manilaclient https://review.openstack.org/609557

--
Goutham

On 2018-10-10 16:35:38 -0700 (-0700), Goutham Pacha Ravi wrote:
[...]
> Thanks Corey for starting this effort. I proposed changes to
> manila repos to use your template [1] [2], but the interpreter's
> not being installed, do you need to make any bindep changes to
> enable the "universe" ppa and install python3.7 and python3.7-dev?
[...]

I think we need to just make sure that the standard Python jobs
install the intended version of the interpreter. Using bindep for
that particular purpose is mildly silly. The bindep.txt file is,
first and foremost, a local developer convenience to let people know
what unexpected packages they might need to install on their systems
to run certain kinds of local tests. I really doubt any reasonable
developer will be surprised that they need to install python3.7
before being able to successfully run `tox -e py37` nor is the error
message confusing if they forget to do so.

A couple projects have added python-version-specific bindep profiles
which do nothing but install the corresponding interpreter, but
adding things to bindep.txt purely to satisfy the CI system is
backwards. Our CI jobs should do what we expect them to do by
default. If the job says it's going to run unit tests under Python
3.7 then the job should make sure a suitable interpreter is
installed to do so.
--
Jeremy Stanley

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM Goutham Pacha Ravi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM Jeremy Stanley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-10-10 16:00:40 -0500 (-0500), Sean McGinnis wrote:
> [...]
> > I would rather see us testing 3.5 and 3.7 versus 3.5, 3.6, and
> > 3.7.
> [...]
>
> I might have only pointed this out on IRC so far, but the
> expectation is that testing 3.5 and 3.6 at the same time was merely
> transitional since official OpenStack projects should be moving
> their testing from Ubuntu Xenial (which provides 3.5) to Ubuntu
> Bionic (which provides 3.6 and, now, 3.7 as well) during the Stein
> cycle and so will drop 3.5 testing on master in the process.

++ on switching python3.5 jobs to testing with python3.7 on Bionic.
python3.5 wasn't supported on all distros [1][2][3][4][5]. Xenial had it,
so it was nice to test with it when developing Queens and Rocky.

Thanks Corey for starting this effort. I proposed changes to
manila repos to use your template [1] [2], but the interpreter's not
being installed,
do you need to make any bindep changes to enable the "universe" ppa and install
python3.7 and python3.7-dev?

Great, thanks for doing that! I'll look into what's needed to get python3.7 installed by the CI job.

Corey

On 10/10/2018 23.10, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> I might have only pointed this out on IRC so far, but the
> expectation is that testing 3.5 and 3.6 at the same time was merely
> transitional since official OpenStack projects should be moving
> their testing from Ubuntu Xenial (which provides 3.5) to Ubuntu
> Bionic (which provides 3.6 and, now, 3.7 as well) during the Stein
> cycle and so will drop 3.5 testing on master in the process.

Agreed, this needs some larger communication and explanation on what to do,

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Corey Bryant

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM Goutham Pacha Ravi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM Jeremy Stanley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-10-10 16:00:40 -0500 (-0500), Sean McGinnis wrote:
> [...]
> > I would rather see us testing 3.5 and 3.7 versus 3.5, 3.6, and
> > 3.7.
> [...]
>
> I might have only pointed this out on IRC so far, but the
> expectation is that testing 3.5 and 3.6 at the same time was merely
> transitional since official OpenStack projects should be moving
> their testing from Ubuntu Xenial (which provides 3.5) to Ubuntu
> Bionic (which provides 3.6 and, now, 3.7 as well) during the Stein
> cycle and so will drop 3.5 testing on master in the process.

++ on switching python3.5 jobs to testing with python3.7 on Bionic.
python3.5 wasn't supported on all distros [1][2][3][4][5]. Xenial had it,
so it was nice to test with it when developing Queens and Rocky.

Thanks Corey for starting this effort. I proposed changes to
manila repos to use your template [1] [2], but the interpreter's not
being installed,
do you need to make any bindep changes to enable the "universe" ppa and install
python3.7 and python3.7-dev?

Following up on this for anyone else who's following along. The python3.7 interpreter and development files are now correctly being installed after some additional changes in zuul jobs. And we have our first py37 SUCCESS! https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609557/

Goutham, thanks again for jumping in and adding py37 tests to your projects.

Thanks,
Corey

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:19 AM Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/10/2018 23.10, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> I might have only pointed this out on IRC so far, but the
> expectation is that testing 3.5 and 3.6 at the same time was merely
> transitional since official OpenStack projects should be moving
> their testing from Ubuntu Xenial (which provides 3.5) to Ubuntu
> Bionic (which provides 3.6 and, now, 3.7 as well) during the Stein
> cycle and so will drop 3.5 testing on master in the process.

Agreed, this needs some larger communication and explanation on what to do,

The good news is we now have an initial change underway and successful, dropping py35 and enabling py37: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609557/

I'm happy to get things moving along and start proposing changes like this to other projects and communicating with PTLs along the way. Do you think we need more discussion/communication on this or should I get started?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:59 AM Corey Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:19 AM Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/10/2018 23.10, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> I might have only pointed this out on IRC so far, but the
> expectation is that testing 3.5 and 3.6 at the same time was merely
> transitional since official OpenStack projects should be moving
> their testing from Ubuntu Xenial (which provides 3.5) to Ubuntu
> Bionic (which provides 3.6 and, now, 3.7 as well) during the Stein
> cycle and so will drop 3.5 testing on master in the process.

Agreed, this needs some larger communication and explanation on what to do,

The good news is we now have an initial change underway and successful, dropping py35 and enabling py37: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/609557/

I'm happy to get things moving along and start proposing changes like this to other projects and communicating with PTLs along the way. Do you think we need more discussion/communication on this or should I get started?

Thanks,
Corey

We have a story to track this now at: https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2004073

I think we will just get started on proposing changes. I've had a couple of folks ask if they can help out which is great so we will start to chip away at the story above. We'll also contact PTLs as we start working on projects in case they haven't seen this thread.

Of course if anyone objects to us moving forward, please feel free to let us know.