[rally][no-admin] Finally Rally can be run without admin user

[rally][no-admin] Finally Rally can be run without admin user

Boris Pavlovic
Hi stackers,

Intro

Initially Rally was targeted for developers which means running it from admin was OK.
Admin was basically used to simplify preparing environment for testing: create and setup users/tenants, networks, quotas and other resources that requires admin role.
As well it was used to cleanup all resources after test was executed.

Problem

More and more operators were running Rally against their production environments, and they were not happy with the thing that they should provide admin, they would rather prepare environment by hand and provide already existing users than allow Rally to mess up with admin rights =)

Solution

After years of refactoring we changed almost everything;) and we managed to keep Rally as simple as it was and support Operators and Developers needs.

Now Rally supports 3 different modes:
  • admin mode -> Rally manages users that are used for testing
  • admin + existing users mode -> Rally uses existing users for testing (if no user context)
  • [new one] existing users mode -> Rally uses existing users for testing
In every mode input task will look the same, however in case of only existing users mode you won't be able to use plugins that requires admin role.

This patch finishes works: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/465495/

Thanks to everybody that was involved in this huge effort!

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic

Re: [rally][no-admin] Finally Rally can be run without admin user

Morgan Fainberg-2
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Boris Pavlovic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi stackers,
>
> Intro
>
> Initially Rally was targeted for developers which means running it from
> admin was OK.
> Admin was basically used to simplify preparing environment for testing:
> create and setup users/tenants, networks, quotas and other resources that
> requires admin role.
> As well it was used to cleanup all resources after test was executed.
>
> Problem
>
> More and more operators were running Rally against their production
> environments, and they were not happy with the thing that they should
> provide admin, they would rather prepare environment by hand and provide
> already existing users than allow Rally to mess up with admin rights =)
>
> Solution
>
> After years of refactoring we changed almost everything;) and we managed to
> keep Rally as simple as it was and support Operators and Developers needs.
>
> Now Rally supports 3 different modes:
>
> admin mode -> Rally manages users that are used for testing
> admin + existing users mode -> Rally uses existing users for testing (if no
> user context)
> [new one] existing users mode -> Rally uses existing users for testing
>
> In every mode input task will look the same, however in case of only
> existing users mode you won't be able to use plugins that requires admin
> role.
>
> This patch finishes works: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/465495/
>
> Thanks to everybody that was involved in this huge effort!
>

> Best regards,
> Boris Pavlovic

Good work, and fantastic news. This will make rally a more interesting
tool to use against real-world deployments.

Congrats on a job well done.
--Morgan

Re: [rally][no-admin] Finally Rally can be run without admin user

Lance Bragstad-2

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Morgan Fainberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Boris Pavlovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi stackers,
>
> Intro
>
> Initially Rally was targeted for developers which means running it from
> admin was OK.
> Admin was basically used to simplify preparing environment for testing:
> create and setup users/tenants, networks, quotas and other resources that
> requires admin role.
> As well it was used to cleanup all resources after test was executed.
>
> Problem
>
> More and more operators were running Rally against their production
> environments, and they were not happy with the thing that they should
> provide admin, they would rather prepare environment by hand and provide
> already existing users than allow Rally to mess up with admin rights =)
>
> Solution
>
> After years of refactoring we changed almost everything;) and we managed to
> keep Rally as simple as it was and support Operators and Developers needs.
>
> Now Rally supports 3 different modes:
>
> admin mode -> Rally manages users that are used for testing
> admin + existing users mode -> Rally uses existing users for testing (if no
> user context)
> [new one] existing users mode -> Rally uses existing users for testing
>
> In every mode input task will look the same, however in case of only
> existing users mode you won't be able to use plugins that requires admin
> role.
>
> This patch finishes works: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/465495/
>
> Thanks to everybody that was involved in this huge effort!
>

> Best regards,
> Boris Pavlovic

Good work, and fantastic news. This will make rally a more interesting
tool to use against real-world deployments.

Congrats on a job well done.

I completely agree here. Nice work!

--Morgan