[requirements] How about using boto3 instead of boto in requirements

[requirements] How about using boto3 instead of boto in requirements

jiaopengju

Hi, everyone:

I have a blueprint of freezer to support s3 storage driver [1], so I need to add boto3 to the requirements [2].

Why use boto3 but not boto?

Boto3 [3] is the next version of Boto, is now stable and recommended for general use. It can be used side-by-side with Boto in the same project, so it is easy to start using Boto3 in your existing projects as well as new projects. Going forward, API updates and all new feature work will be focused on Boto3.

Problem

Boto3 requires botocore, jmespath and s3transfer. botocore and jmespath are already used by boto, this is because boto is used by ec2-api (and heat-cfntools, rally and swift3).  After adding Boto3 to requirements, we will have old and new libraries ATM.

My suggenstion

How about using boto3 instead of boto? This will require us to do some migration about boto to boto3.

Anyone has ideas or suggesstions? Thank you very much!

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471295

[2]https://review.openstack.org/#/c/473067

[3]https://github.com/boto/boto3

Pengju Jiao

Re: [requirements] How about using boto3 instead of boto in requirements

Davanum Srinivas
Hi Pengju Jiao,

The main consume i believe is EC2-API :

http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=%5Eboto&i=nope&files=.*req.*%5C.txt&repos=
http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=%5E(from%7Cimport).*boto&i=nope&files=&repos=

Can you please reach out to them?

Thanks,
Dims

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:11 AM, jiaopengju
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, everyone:
>
> I have a blueprint of freezer to support s3 storage driver [1], so I need to
> add boto3 to the requirements [2].
>
> Why use boto3 but not boto?
>
> Boto3 [3] is the next version of Boto, is now stable and recommended for
> general use. It can be used side-by-side with Boto in the same project, so
> it is easy to start using Boto3 in your existing projects as well as new
> projects. Going forward, API updates and all new feature work will be
> focused on Boto3.
>

> Problem
>
> Boto3 requires botocore, jmespath and s3transfer. botocore and jmespath are
> already used by boto, this is because boto is used by ec2-api (and
> heat-cfntools, rally and swift3).  After adding Boto3 to requirements, we
> will have old and new libraries ATM.
>

> My suggenstion
>
> How about using boto3 instead of boto? This will require us to do some
> migration about boto to boto3.
>

> Anyone has ideas or suggesstions? Thank you very much!
>

> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471295
>
> [2]https://review.openstack.org/#/c/473067
>
> [3]https://github.com/boto/boto3
>

> Pengju Jiao
> mail: [hidden email]

Re: [requirements] How about using boto3 instead of boto in requirements

Tony Breeds
NOTE:
- Removed Matthew and Sean from Cc as they'll get this via os-dev
- Added ec2-api tag and PTL for visibility

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:05:55AM -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Hi Pengju Jiao,
>
> The main consume i believe is EC2-API :
>
> http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=%5Eboto&i=nope&files=.*req.*%5C.txt&repos=
> http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=%5E(from%7Cimport).*boto&i=nope&files=&repos=
>
> Can you please reach out to them?

I think that's the point of this email :D

I had a quick look and it doesn't seem terrible to do the swictch to
boto3, but it's more than a trivial substitution.  Can the ec2-api team
look at moving to boto3?

Rally and heat are less critical as they don't seem to subscribe to
requirements management.