[stable][kolla][release] Policy regarding backports of gate code

[stable][kolla][release] Policy regarding backports of gate code

Michał Jastrzębski
Hello,

Since we're working hard on providing pipeline for docker publishing,
that will require heavy gating of container images to be published. We
also would like to publish stable/ocata images to enable release
upgrade gates from O to P.

My question is, is it ok to backport gate logic to stable branch?
Regular code doesn't change so it might not be considered a feature
backport (users won't see a thing).
Since zuul runs all the jobs regarding of branch, unless we backport
this code, our multinode ocata jobs will be just huge waste of
resources.

First of reviews in question: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/466007/
As you can see it's quite an extensive overhaul of gating so it's much
more than a bug. How should we proceed?

Regards,
Michal

Re: [stable][kolla][release] Policy regarding backports of gate code

Ihar Hrachyshka
On 06/05/2017 09:42 AM, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> My question is, is it ok to backport gate logic to stable branch?
> Regular code doesn't change so it might not be considered a feature
> backport (users won't see a thing).

Yes, that's allowed. Stable maintainers are concerned about
destabilizing production code. Touching gate infrastructure, adding
tests, updating documentation is almost always ok. (Assuming your
changes don't e.g. reduce test coverage.)

Ihar

Re: [stable][kolla][release] Policy regarding backports of gate code

Tony Breeds
On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 02:38:44PM -0700, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On 06/05/2017 09:42 AM, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> > My question is, is it ok to backport gate logic to stable branch?
> > Regular code doesn't change so it might not be considered a feature
> > backport (users won't see a thing).
>
> Yes, that's allowed. Stable maintainers are concerned about destabilizing
> production code. Touching gate infrastructure, adding tests, updating
> documentation is almost always ok. (Assuming your changes don't e.g. reduce
> test coverage.)

Yup what Ihar said :)

Yours Tony.