[tc] Status update, Jun 16

Thierry Carrez
Hi!

Back on regular schedule, here is an update on the status of a number
of TC-proposed governance changes, in an attempt to rely less on a
weekly meeting to convey that information.

You can find the full status list of open topics at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Follow-up precisions on office hours [1]
* New git repositories: fuxi-golang
* Updated links to Vitrage developer documentation
* Pike goal responses for freezer, cloudkitty

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/470926/

== Open discussions ==

A new draft was produced for the TC vision, taking into account some of
the feedback we received on the initial draft. Please review:

* Begin integrating vision feedback and editing for style [1]

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/473620/

A new, hopefully more consensual revision of the database support
resolution was posted by Dirk. Please review it at:

* Declare plainly the current state of PostgreSQL in OpenStack [2]

[2] https://review.openstack.org/427880

A new item was proposed for addition on our top-5 wanted list: Glance
contributors. Please review and comment at:

* Add "Glance Contributors" to top-5 wanted list [3]

[3] https://review.openstack.org/474604

We did not have that many comments on John Garbutt's revised resolution
on ensuring that decisions are globally inclusive. Please see:

* Decisions should be globally inclusive [4]

[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460946/

The discussion on Queens goals is a bit stalled, as Gerrit is not the
ideal tool to select x picks out of n proposals. I think a dedicated IRC
meeting could help us sort through the proposals and propose a set (see
below). In the mean time, please review:

* Discovery alignment, with two options: [5] [6]
* Policy and docs in code [7]
* Migrate off paste [8]
* Continuing Python 3.5+ Support​ [9]

[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468436/
[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468437/
[7] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469954/
[8] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117747.html
[9] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117746.html

A proposal to remove "meritocracy" from the Four opens details was
posted by cdent. Please review at:

* Remove "meritocracy" from the opens [10]

[10] https://review.openstack.org/473510

Finally, a number of tag additions are still being discussed, so you
might want to give your opinion on them:

* assert:supports-rolling-upgrade for keystone [11]
* assert:supports-upgrade to Barbican [12]
* stable:follows-policy for Kolla [13]

[11] https://review.openstack.org/471427
[12] https://review.openstack.org/472547
[13] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/346455/

== Voting in progress ==

The Top 5 help wanted list (and the "doc owners" initial item) almost
have the votes necessary to merge. Please vote at:

* Introduce Top 5 help wanted list [14]
* Add "Doc owners" to top-5 wanted list [15]

[14] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/466684/
[15] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469115/

The new "assert:supports-api-interoperability" tag also seems to have
broad support and be ready for merging. Please vote at:

* Introduce assert:supports-api-interoperability [16]

[16] https://review.openstack.org/418010

Finally, Doug's guidelines for managing releases of binary artifacts is
also missing a couple of votes to be approved:

* Guidelines for managing releases of binary artifacts [17]

[17] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469265/

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

johnthetubaguy to finalize updating "Describe what upstream support
means" with a new revision [https://review.openstack.org/440601]

flaper87 to update "Drop Technical Committee meetings" with a new
revision [https://review.openstack.org/459848]

Additionally, we are still looking for a volunteer TC member
sponsor/mentor to helm the Gluon team navigate the OpenStack seas as
they engage to become an official project. Any volunteer ?

== Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==

In order to make progress on the Pike goal selection, I think a
dedicated IRC meeting will be necessary. We have a set of valid goals
proposed already: we need to decide how many we should have, and which
ones. Gerrit is not great to have that ranking discussion, so I think we
should meet to come up with a set, and propose it on the mailing-list
for discussion. We could use the regular meeting slot on Tuesday,
20:00utc. How does that sound ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Jeremy Stanley
On 2017-06-16 11:17:30 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
[...]
> In order to make progress on the Pike goal selection, I think a
> dedicated IRC meeting will be necessary. We have a set of valid goals
> proposed already: we need to decide how many we should have, and which
> ones. Gerrit is not great to have that ranking discussion, so I think we
> should meet to come up with a set, and propose it on the mailing-list
> for discussion. We could use the regular meeting slot on Tuesday,
> 20:00utc. How does that sound ?

Works for me; I agree this would be helpful. Thanks for proposing!
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Doug Hellmann-2
Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2017-06-16 11:17:30 +0200:

> == Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==
>
> In order to make progress on the Pike goal selection, I think a
> dedicated IRC meeting will be necessary. We have a set of valid goals
> proposed already: we need to decide how many we should have, and which
> ones. Gerrit is not great to have that ranking discussion, so I think we
> should meet to come up with a set, and propose it on the mailing-list
> for discussion. We could use the regular meeting slot on Tuesday,
> 20:00utc. How does that sound ?

+1

Re: [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Clay Gerrard

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Doug Hellmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2017-06-16 11:17:30 +0200:

> == Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==
>
> In order to make progress on the Pike goal selection, I think a
> dedicated IRC meeting will be necessary. We have a set of valid goals
> proposed already: we need to decide how many we should have, and which
> ones. Gerrit is not great to have that ranking discussion, so I think we
> should meet to come up with a set, and propose it on the mailing-list
> for discussion. We could use the regular meeting slot on Tuesday,
> 20:00utc. How does that sound ?

+1

I'm loving this new ML thing the TC is doing!  Like... I'm not going to come to the meeting.  I'm not a helpful person in general and probably wouldn't have anything productive to say.

But I love the *idea* that I know *when and where* this is being decided so that if I *did* care enough about community goals to come make a stink about it I know exactly what I should do - _show up and say my piece_!  Just this *idea* is going to help a *ton* later when John tells me "shut up clay; just review the patch" [1] - because if I had something to say about it i should have been there when it was time to say something about it!

Obvs, if anyone *else* has a passion about community goals and how OpenStack uses them to push for positive change in the boarder ecosystem (and thinks they can elucidate that on IRC to positive results).  *YOU* should *totally* be there!

Y'all have fun,

-Clay

1. N.B. john is *not* a high conflict guy; but he's dealt with me for ~20years so he get's a pass

Re: [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Thierry Carrez
Clay Gerrard wrote:

> I'm loving this new ML thing the TC is doing!  Like... I'm not going to
> come to the meeting.  I'm not a helpful person in general and probably
> wouldn't have anything productive to say.
>
> But I love the *idea* that I know *when and where* this is being decided
> so that if I *did* care enough about community goals to come make a
> stink about it I know exactly what I should do - _show up and say my
> piece_!  Just this *idea* is going to help a *ton* later when John tells
> me "shut up clay; just review the patch" [1] - because if I had
> something to say about it i should have been there when it was time to
> say something about it!

FWIW the "decision" won't be made at the meeting, but we'll try to reach
consensus on the set of goals we find reasonable to propose. Expect
another heated thread as a result of the meeting :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Michał Jastrzębski
Since there are 2 topics that are very very important to me:
1. binary resolution waiting for votes
2. kolla stable:follows-policy tag

Is there anything I can to do help with either?

On 16 June 2017 at 09:23, Thierry Carrez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Clay Gerrard wrote:
>> I'm loving this new ML thing the TC is doing!  Like... I'm not going to
>> come to the meeting.  I'm not a helpful person in general and probably
>> wouldn't have anything productive to say.
>>
>> But I love the *idea* that I know *when and where* this is being decided
>> so that if I *did* care enough about community goals to come make a
>> stink about it I know exactly what I should do - _show up and say my
>> piece_!  Just this *idea* is going to help a *ton* later when John tells
>> me "shut up clay; just review the patch" [1] - because if I had
>> something to say about it i should have been there when it was time to
>> say something about it!
>
> FWIW the "decision" won't be made at the meeting, but we'll try to reach
> consensus on the set of goals we find reasonable to propose. Expect
> another heated thread as a result of the meeting :)
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Mike Perez
On 11:17 Jun 16, Thierry Carrez wrote:

<snip>

> == Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==
>
> In order to make progress on the Pike goal selection, I think a
> dedicated IRC meeting will be necessary. We have a set of valid goals
> proposed already: we need to decide how many we should have, and which
> ones. Gerrit is not great to have that ranking discussion, so I think we
> should meet to come up with a set, and propose it on the mailing-list
> for discussion. We could use the regular meeting slot on Tuesday,
> 20:00utc. How does that sound ?

I will be there since I started facilitating this back at the forum.

--
Mike Perez

Re: [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Sean McGinnis

> == Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==
>
> In order to make progress on the Pike goal selection, I think a
> dedicated IRC meeting will be necessary. We have a set of valid goals
> proposed already: we need to decide how many we should have, and which
> ones. Gerrit is not great to have that ranking discussion, so I think we
> should meet to come up with a set, and propose it on the mailing-list
> for discussion. We could use the regular meeting slot on Tuesday,
> 20:00utc. How does that sound ?

I have a busy couple of weeks of travel coming up, so I'm not sure if I will
be there or not. I will try to attend, and if that does not work out, I will
try to provided input via the ML before or after the meeting.

Sean

Re: [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Davanum Srinivas
On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Sean McGinnis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> == Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==
>>
>> In order to make progress on the Pike goal selection, I think a
>> dedicated IRC meeting will be necessary. We have a set of valid goals
>> proposed already: we need to decide how many we should have, and which
>> ones. Gerrit is not great to have that ranking discussion, so I think we
>> should meet to come up with a set, and propose it on the mailing-list
>> for discussion. We could use the regular meeting slot on Tuesday,
>> 20:00utc. How does that sound ?
>>

> I have a busy couple of weeks of travel coming up, so I'm not sure if I will
> be there or not. I will try to attend, and if that does not work out, I will
> try to provided input via the ML before or after the meeting.

I am in the same boat as Sean. In fact, travelling to the same places :)

-- Dims