[tc] [all] TC Report 49

Chris Dent-2

(Blog version at https://anticdent.org/tc-report-49.html )

After last week's rather huge [TC
Report](https://anticdent.org/tc-report-48.html), will keep this one
short, reporting on some topics that came up in the `#openstack-tc` IRC
channel in the last week.

# Interop Tests and Tempest Plugins

There's a review in process attempting to [clarify testing for interop
programs](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/521602/). It's somewhat
stuck and needs additional input from any community members who are
interested in or concerned about interop testing and tempest plugins.

For a bit more context there was some discussion on
[Wednesday](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-11-29.log.html#t2017-11-29T16:26:01),

# Kata Containers

Today, OpenStack got a sibling project managed by the Foundation,
[Kata
Containers](https://katacontainers.io/) (there's a [press
release](https://www.openstack.org/news/view/365/kata-containers-project-launches-to-build-secure-container-infrastructure)).
It provides a way of doing "extremely lightweight virtual machines"
that can work within a container ecosystem (such as Kubernetes).

The expansion of the Foundation was talked about at the summit in
Sydney, but having something happen this quickly was a bit of a
surprise, leading to some [questions in
IRC](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-12-05.log.html#t2017-12-05T14:11:33)
today. Jonathan Bryce showed up to help answer them.

Turns out this was all above board, but some communication had been
dropped.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/
freenode: cdent                                         tw: @anticdent

Re: [tc] [all] TC Report 49

James E. Blair
Chris Dent <[hidden email]> writes:

> The expansion of the Foundation was talked about at the summit in
> Sydney, but having something happen this quickly was a bit of a
> surprise, leading to some [questions in
> IRC](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-12-05.log.html#t2017-12-05T14:11:33)
> today. Jonathan Bryce showed up to help answer them.

I'd like to address a misconception in that IRC log:

2017-12-05T14:20:56  <dhellmann> it does not take long to create a repo on our infrastructure
2017-12-05T14:21:14  <dhellmann> though I guess without the name flattening, it would have been an "openstack" repository

While there's still some work to be done on flattening the namespace for
existing repos, I think it would be quite straightforward to create a
repository for a non-openstack project in gerrit with no prefix (or, of
course, a different prefix).  I don't think that would have been an
obstacle.

And regarding this:

2017-12-05T15:05:30  <cmurphy> i'm not sure how much of infra's ci they could make use of given https://github.com/kata-containers/tests

I don't see an obstacle to using Zuul right now either -- even before
they have tests.

-Jim

Re: [tc] [all] TC Report 49

Doug Hellmann-2
Excerpts from corvus's message of 2017-12-06 15:33:29 -0800:

> Chris Dent <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > The expansion of the Foundation was talked about at the summit in
> > Sydney, but having something happen this quickly was a bit of a
> > surprise, leading to some [questions in
> > IRC](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-12-05.log.html#t2017-12-05T14:11:33)
> > today. Jonathan Bryce showed up to help answer them.
>
> I'd like to address a misconception in that IRC log:
>
> 2017-12-05T14:20:56  <dhellmann> it does not take long to create a repo on our infrastructure
> 2017-12-05T14:21:14  <dhellmann> though I guess without the name flattening, it would have been an "openstack" repository
>
> While there's still some work to be done on flattening the namespace for
> existing repos, I think it would be quite straightforward to create a
> repository for a non-openstack project in gerrit with no prefix (or, of
> course, a different prefix).  I don't think that would have been an
> obstacle.

OK, that's good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

> And regarding this:
>
> 2017-12-05T15:05:30  <cmurphy> i'm not sure how much of infra's ci they could make use of given https://github.com/kata-containers/tests
>
> I don't see an obstacle to using Zuul right now either -- even before
> they have tests.
>
> -Jim

Re: [tc] [all] TC Report 49

Graham Hayes-2

On 06/12/17 23:33, James E. Blair wrote:

> Chris Dent <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> The expansion of the Foundation was talked about at the summit in
>> Sydney, but having something happen this quickly was a bit of a
>> surprise, leading to some [questions in
>> IRC](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-12-05.log.html#t2017-12-05T14:11:33)
>> today. Jonathan Bryce showed up to help answer them.
>
> I'd like to address a misconception in that IRC log:
>
> 2017-12-05T14:20:56  <dhellmann> it does not take long to create a repo on our infrastructure
> 2017-12-05T14:21:14  <dhellmann> though I guess without the name flattening, it would have been an "openstack" repository
>
> While there's still some work to be done on flattening the namespace for
> existing repos, I think it would be quite straightforward to create a
> repository for a non-openstack project in gerrit with no prefix (or, of
> course, a different prefix).  I don't think that would have been an
> obstacle.
>
> And regarding this:
>
> 2017-12-05T15:05:30  <cmurphy> i'm not sure how much of infra's ci they could make use of given https://github.com/kata-containers/tests
>
> I don't see an obstacle to using Zuul right now either -- even before
> they have tests.
It is worth remembering that this is a completely separate project to
OpenStack, with its own governance. They are free not to use our tooling
(and considering a lot of containers work is on github, they may never
use it).

> -Jim

Re: [tc] [all] TC Report 49

Jeremy Stanley
On 2017-12-07 17:08:55 +0000 (+0000), Graham Hayes wrote:
[...]
> It is worth remembering that this is a completely separate project to
> OpenStack, with its own governance. They are free not to use our tooling
> (and considering a lot of containers work is on github, they may never
> use it).

Right. We'd love it of course if they decide they want to, and the
Infra team is welcoming and taking the potential needs of these
other communities into account in some upcoming refactoring of
services and new features, but to a great extent they're on their
own journeys and need to decide for themselves what tools and
solutions will work best for their particular contributors and
users. The OpenStack community sets a really great example I expect
many of them will want to emulate and converge on over time, but
that works better if they come to those sorts of conclusions on
their own rather than being told what to do/use.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: [tc] [all] TC Report 49

Paul Belanger-2
On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 05:28:53PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> On 2017-12-07 17:08:55 +0000 (+0000), Graham Hayes wrote:
> [...]
> > It is worth remembering that this is a completely separate project to
> > OpenStack, with its own governance. They are free not to use our tooling
> > (and considering a lot of containers work is on github, they may never
> > use it).
>
> Right. We'd love it of course if they decide they want to, and the
> Infra team is welcoming and taking the potential needs of these
> other communities into account in some upcoming refactoring of
> services and new features, but to a great extent they're on their
> own journeys and need to decide for themselves what tools and
> solutions will work best for their particular contributors and
> users. The OpenStack community sets a really great example I expect
> many of them will want to emulate and converge on over time, but
> that works better if they come to those sorts of conclusions on
> their own rather than being told what to do/use.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

It seems there is atleast some services they'd be interested in using, mailman
for example.  Does this mean it would be a-la-carte services, where new projects
mix and match which things they'd like to be managed and not?

As for being told what to do/use, I'm sure there much be some process in place
or something we want, to give an overview of the services we already available,
and why a project might want to use them.  But agree with comments about 'own
journeys and need to decide fro themselves'.

Re: [tc] [all] TC Report 49

Jeremy Stanley
On 2017-12-07 16:20:43 -0500 (-0500), Paul Belanger wrote:
[...]
> It seems there is atleast some services they'd be interested in
> using, mailman for example.  Does this mean it would be a-la-carte
> services, where new projects mix and match which things they'd
> like to be managed and not?
[...]

Yes, we (Infra team) already host lists.katacontainers.io with a
couple of mailing lists on there, and designs are forming around a
multi-hosting solution for that so we don't need multiple distinct
deployments per community. Some services will be multi-domain
while others will likely just get refaced with some sort of neutral
branding in places where distinct brand identity is less important.
Preliminary plan for the "hard bits" is up for review at
https://review.openstack.org/524024 and likely to be approved next
week unless major objections are raised in the meantime.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: [tc] [all] TC Report 49

Clint Byrum
Excerpts from Graham Hayes's message of 2017-12-07 17:08:55 +0000:

> On 06/12/17 23:33, James E. Blair wrote:
> > Chris Dent <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> >> The expansion of the Foundation was talked about at the summit in
> >> Sydney, but having something happen this quickly was a bit of a
> >> surprise, leading to some [questions in
> >> IRC](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-12-05.log.html#t2017-12-05T14:11:33)
> >> today. Jonathan Bryce showed up to help answer them.
> >
> > I'd like to address a misconception in that IRC log:
> >
> > 2017-12-05T14:20:56  <dhellmann> it does not take long to create a repo on our infrastructure
> > 2017-12-05T14:21:14  <dhellmann> though I guess without the name flattening, it would have been an "openstack" repository
> >
> > While there's still some work to be done on flattening the namespace for
> > existing repos, I think it would be quite straightforward to create a
> > repository for a non-openstack project in gerrit with no prefix (or, of
> > course, a different prefix).  I don't think that would have been an
> > obstacle.
> >
> > And regarding this:
> >
> > 2017-12-05T15:05:30  <cmurphy> i'm not sure how much of infra's ci they could make use of given https://github.com/kata-containers/tests
> >
> > I don't see an obstacle to using Zuul right now either -- even before
> > they have tests.
>
> It is worth remembering that this is a completely separate project to
> OpenStack, with its own governance. They are free not to use our tooling
> (and considering a lot of containers work is on github, they may never
> use it).

It's worth noting that while that precludes Gerrit, it does not preclude
Zuul, which has a GitHub driver, though we're still not sure if it scales
as well as Gerrit.