[tripleo] Containers Deep Dive - 15th June

[tripleo] Containers Deep Dive - 15th June

Jiří Stránský
Hello,

as discussed previously on the list and at the weekly meeting, we'll do
a deep dive about containers. The time:

Thursday 15th June, 14:00 UTC (the usual time)

Link for attending will be at the deep dives etherpad [1], preliminary
agenda is in another etherpad [2], and i hope i'll be able to record it too.

This time it may be more of a "broad dive" :) as that's what containers
in TripleO mostly are -- they add new bits into many TripleO
areas/topics (composable services/upgrades, Quickstart/CI, etc.). So
i'll be trying to bring light to the container-specific parts of the
mix, and assume some familiarity with the generic TripleO
concepts/features (e.g. via docs and previous deep dives). Given this
pattern, i'll have slides with links into code. I'll post them online,
so that you can reiterate or examine some code more closely later, in
case you want to.

Have a good day!

Jirka

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deep-dive-topics
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deep-dive-containers

Re: [tripleo] Containers Deep Dive - 15th June

Or Idgar
Hi,
Can you please send me the meeting invitation?

Thanks in advance!

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Jiří Stránský <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Best regards,
Or Idgar

On 13.6.2017 09:58, Or Idgar wrote:
> Hi,
> Can you please send me the meeting invitation?

Hi Or,

i've just added the bluejeans link to the etherpads. I'm not posting it
here as i want the "sources of truth" for that link to be editable, in
case we hit some issues with the setup / joining etc.

Jirka

On 9.6.2017 16:49, Jiří Stránský wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as discussed previously on the list and at the weekly meeting, we'll do
> a deep dive about containers. The time:
>
> Thursday 15th June, 14:00 UTC (the usual time)
>
> Link for attending will be at the deep dives etherpad [1], preliminary
> agenda is in another etherpad [2], and i hope i'll be able to record it too.
>
> This time it may be more of a "broad dive" :) as that's what containers
> in TripleO mostly are -- they add new bits into many TripleO
> areas/topics (composable services/upgrades, Quickstart/CI, etc.). So
> i'll be trying to bring light to the container-specific parts of the
> mix, and assume some familiarity with the generic TripleO
> concepts/features (e.g. via docs and previous deep dives). Given this
> pattern, i'll have slides with links into code. I'll post them online,
> so that you can reiterate or examine some code more closely later, in
> case you want to.

For folks who haven't had any prior exposure to Docker containers
whatsoever, i'd recommend giving these links a scan beforehand:

* Docker Overview
   https://docs.docker.com/engine/docker-overview/

* Docker - Get Started pt.1: Orientation and Setup
   https://docs.docker.com/get-started/

* Docker - Get Started pt.2: Containers
   https://docs.docker.com/get-started/part2/

(I'd like us to spend majority of the time talking about how we use
containers in TripleO, rather than what containers are.)

Thanks, looking forward to seeing you at the deep dive!

Jirka

> Have a good day!
>
> Jirka
>
> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deep-dive-topics
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deep-dive-containers

Re: [tripleo] Containers Deep Dive - 15th June

Jiří Stránský
On 9.6.2017 16:49, Jiří Stránský wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as discussed previously on the list and at the weekly meeting, we'll do
> a deep dive about containers. The time:
>
> Thursday 15th June, 14:00 UTC (the usual time)
>
> Link for attending will be at the deep dives etherpad [1], preliminary
> agenda is in another etherpad [2], and i hope i'll be able to record it too.

The recording is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhTwHfi65p8

Thanks Carlos for managing our youtube channel!

Jirka

On 15.6.2017 18:25, Jiří Stránský wrote:

> On 9.6.2017 16:49, Jiří Stránský wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> as discussed previously on the list and at the weekly meeting, we'll do
>> a deep dive about containers. The time:
>>
>> Thursday 15th June, 14:00 UTC (the usual time)
>>
>> Link for attending will be at the deep dives etherpad [1], preliminary
>> agenda is in another etherpad [2], and i hope i'll be able to record it too.
>
> The recording is available here:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhTwHfi65p8

And the slides:

https://jistr.github.io/tripleo-deep-dive-containers-june-2017/

> Thanks Carlos for managing our youtube channel!
>
> Jirka
>

>> This time it may be more of a "broad dive" :) as that's what containers
>> in TripleO mostly are -- they add new bits into many TripleO
>> areas/topics (composable services/upgrades, Quickstart/CI, etc.). So
>> i'll be trying to bring light to the container-specific parts of the
>> mix, and assume some familiarity with the generic TripleO
>> concepts/features (e.g. via docs and previous deep dives). Given this
>> pattern, i'll have slides with links into code. I'll post them online,
>> so that you can reiterate or examine some code more closely later, in
>> case you want to.
>>

>> Have a good day!
>>
>> Jirka
>>
>> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deep-dive-topics
>> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deep-dive-containers

Re: [tripleo] Containers Deep Dive - 15th June

Harry Rybacki
Thanks for putting this together, Jirka. The recording is very much
worth anyone's time!